MIL Considering...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by armond, Nov 28, 2007.

1. armond

armond New Member

26 years old here considering joining the Air Force. No college(stupid, stupid me) and a little bit of debt.

I joined in June of 2000(right outta high school) and was medically discharged due to subcutaneous emphysema(sp?) and some other medical stuff. Anyway, basically a hole appeared on my lung and they had to boot me. It was not from any particular incident nor activity. It was a freak accident, 1:40,000 chance of occurring...

Anyway, I am considering joining because everything else I have done since then has not left me satisfied. I was always attracted to military life(was an Army Brat) and love what the military offers and the chance to travel.

Well, my DD-214 states that I am allowed to go back up for enlistment after a 2 year time period passes and upon a good review by the Doc.

Biggest thing is, I am not sure what I want to pursue! I am interested in personal health. Physical therapy, dietician, nutritionist, etc., they all appeal to me. I was just curious if the Barracks could help me out. Give me some insight. :x: I am torn, because you have until you are 27(right?) to join enlisted.

2. Insdav3

Insdav3 Guest

1. Are your current living conditions worse than that of the active military?
    2. Are your long term realistic goals greater than that provided by the military?
    3. Which long term choice would benefit you the most?

3. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

AF medical has PT. Don't do nutrition, you might end up as a cook... ...unless you want to be a cook.

4. armond

armond New Member

I would say my living conditions are right on par with the Active military. I am not really complaining so much about my living conditions so much as feeling proud/good about what I have done so far.

I see where you are going about nutrition, although I do enjoy cooking a meal or two, but not as a career. ;)

Now physical therapy sounds interesting to me, and I truly enjoy helping people. Big pluses there.

I would say my long term goals would be enhanced by the inclusion of military service. I cannot say if I would join and retire, but I do think I would take advantage of everything the military has to offer.

5. Drunk Bastard Audio

Drunk Bastard Audio New Member

how much debt is a "little debt"? If you can't get a clearance due to debt, then you won't be allowed to join...regardless of service.

6. armond

armond New Member

Debt meaning a car and maybe 10,000 worth of debt. I currently have an Active Secret clearance, so I am able to get a clearance. I also received that clearance when I had more debt than that! Is that the kind of clearance you were referring to?

7. armond

armond New Member

Also, if married what are the living arrangements like? After Basic I mean.

8. Drunk Bastard Audio

married will entitle you to BAH (housing allowance) in which once you PCS from basic...you will be able to find off post housing (or if you wish, you can live on post in base housing...but waiting lists vary base to base).

9. armond

armond New Member

Is BAH granted if you live on base? Or only if you live off?

10. NisAznMonk

NisAznMonk New Member

1) You have to be in BMT before your 28th birthday.
    2) After basic it'll depend if your tech-school is over 20 weeks or not. If it is then you MAY be eligible to have your wife live with you. If it isn't then you'll be collecting BAH for her home of record (zip code).
    3) #2 is based on the length of the school deemed by the AF, not by how long you are actually at tech-school (wait time for the right clearance, picking up trash duties, then school)

Where in TX are you from?

11. armond

armond New Member

I am originally from Ft. Hood(army brat) but just recently moved to Plano!

Well I just turned 26 this month, so I have a short lil time to figure it all out.

12. NisAznMonk

NisAznMonk New Member

Don't wait too long. I knew of a guy who was in a similar situation and he waited nearly 18 months before he got into BMT. Being picky about his AFSC didn't help much either, but the point is to go ahead and get started with your local recruiter. There may be some sort of wait time and if you aren't in BMT before you hit 28yrs of age then your active duty AF hopes are gone.

13. armond

armond New Member

Ya! I have a recruiter I will be visiting tomorrow. Going to go get the process started and if I have to be put on a waiting list, as long as it doesn't make me go past my 28th, I will be happy. LOL

I am thinking something medical or technical, basically something that will transfer well into the civilian world if I do decide to not retire(or better yet if I do decide to retire and want a short career afterwards). Any suggestions? Helicopter maintenance can pay big money, as can any type of aircraft maintenance from what I understand.

14. NisAznMonk

NisAznMonk New Member

Biomedical technologies (I think that is what it is called) sounded sweet for someone in my flight. He was also married and had a kid, but I don't think they were able to stay with him at Keesler because it was less than 20 weeks.

Just remember to take advantage of the Air Force because the AF will get their moneys worth from you. Whatever schooling you can get done do it. Don't be that guy that screws himself out of a good life AFTER the military because they had no initiative to ask questions.

What I've done in addition to my usual training in the AF (came in May 2006):

1) 1 class away from my CCAF (don't know if that means shit)
    2) paying for additional MGIB benefits that noone told me about initially
    3) working on my TSP retirement stuff (investments basically)
    4) asking questions about life insurance
    5) working towards my BA in Asian Studies from UMUC - Asia. Hope to have that done by the time my enlistment is up May 2010.
    6) started saving money and understood what it took to stay out of debt and be responsible with money finances (something I sucked at before).
    7) take control of my life

Ask questions man and do something about it. You may not end up with an AFSC you [think you] like, but don't let that dictate how your career and life will turn out. The coolest AFSC can turn into shit if your shop is full of dumbasses.

15. armond

armond New Member

Very cool man. I was gone for a year to Kuwait as a contractor, so we have been separated for periods of time, 6 month periods. As long as we get to see eachother somtimes(weekends) we wil be great.

That is my prob with my other jobs, I ask questions and they hated that sometimes. But I would rather know than be ignorant of anything.

Oh ya, tattoos... I have one tat on my back, upper back actually, you cannot see it at all when I have a shirt on. I actually did it that way so it was worksafe, will that be ok?

16. NisAznMonk

NisAznMonk New Member

Check with your recruiter, but I see plenty of AF members with it.

17. armond

armond New Member

Ya, something I need to ask for sure. I plan on going to a recruiter tomorrow.

I had asked if BAH was granted whether you lived on or off post or not. Or is it only granted if you live off post?

18. Drunk Bastard Audio

depends...some posts are under civilian control as far as housing goes now...and in those cases, you still get BAH, though the majority of it goes towards the "rent" of on post housing.

19. NisAznMonk

NisAznMonk New Member

If you are single just bet on not getting any until you hit E-4.

20. armond

armond New Member

Well we were considering tying the knot before I ever even threw the AF idea out there. I plan on proposing on the anniversary of day we started our relationship. 4th of December. Some cliffs:

Been together 2 years, known her for 11. We are both 26. She has a degree, so going to college is not a barrier. She stayed with me while I went to Kuwait for a year for contract work. She says she totally supports anything I want to do for my career, as long as I put my effort into it.

21. NisAznMonk

NisAznMonk New Member

Get married before BMT and you'll have more leverage to collect BAH. Simple as that.

22. armond

armond New Member

Awww crap, a possible barrier, tattoo. Located on my upper back, but below the shirt collar, had it put there for worksafe reasons.

Any insight into the policy on tattoos prior to enlistment?

23. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

AETCI 36-2002 Table 1.1​

Applicant is ineligible when one or more of the following​
    conditions exist:
    Has obscene or offensive tattoos or tattoos that advocate sexual,
    racial, ethnic, or religious slurs, or has excessive tattoos.
    Additionally, has tattoos that when exposed from a military
    uniform, detract from a proper military image. In questionable
    cases, send photographs to HQ AFRS/RSOP/O/H, as appropriate,​
    for eligibility determination.

There is more so click here and scroll down to Table 1.1

24. armond

armond New Member

Thanks much, seems my tattoo won't be an issue, it doesn't show when in any type of clothing. But I guess the recruiter has the final say right?

25. armond

armond New Member

Also, anyone here have any insight into what the Air Force is looking for? I mean what jobs they are looking to have filled?

I was hoping for something that will transfer well into civilian life if I opt not to stay in or even after I retire perhaps!

BTW, thanks everyone who has been helping me out!

Last edited: Nov 30, 2007