MIL Considering to join the Army.........

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by apollotrance1, Nov 19, 2008.

1. apollotrance1

apollotrance1 Active Member

I have been thinking about this for about 2 years now, and alot now more than anything since my old roommate went into the Army afew months ago. What is to be expected in basic training??? And how often do you get to leave, to say go see your family??

2. eu4ia

eu4ia Active Member

Dealing with retards and getting smoked.

3. Julius

Julius Guest

x300,343,243

4. NisAznMonk

NisAznMonk New Member

You don't know until you try it. See if they have any 3yr enlistment contracts. At least if you don't like it then you'll get the educational benefits.

5. Drunk Bastard Audio

Drunk Bastard Audio New Member

What do you want to do exactly?

6. Julius

Julius Guest

Yep, first you need to figure out why you want to enlist in the army and what exactly it is that you want to do.

This.

3 years of active service provides full coverage under the new MGIB. It also gives you a nice chunk of time to determine whether or not you wish to make the army your career.

7. snoodles

snoodles New Member

a little bit of sleep. a lot of bit of bs. people screaming, you're running.

on the plus side (not) you get to play lots of games!

8. apollotrance1

I am really looking for a career change, trying to get out of retail sales. I have afew friends who have already joined, plus I was probably gonna do the 6-year term. I went to the recruiter's office today, scored high on the practice test, but STILL have some more pounds to loose. Was thinking about being a Blackhawk Crew Chief, was told that was a good learning environment.

9. RecklessYouth

RecklessYouth godamnlurker

That sounds like an interesting job, but please take into consideration how your MOS can possibly transfer to the civilian world. If you end up going career, then its not really an issue but if you want something that can set you up for decent contractor/government agency type work look into any of the Intel or Signal jobs. The Army isnt for everyone, and Im not gonna bullshit you, your gonna get deployed. Its not a matter of "if" its a matter of when. If your doing a 6 year enlistment, you should expect at least 2-3 deployments under your belt before that contract is up. Having said that, it sounds like I was in your shoes at one point. I was burnt out working in the civilian world, and even needed to drop a few pounds. I busted my ass, dropped the weight and havent looked back. Even though Im typing this in the middle of Afghanistan freezing my ass off, I still wouldnt trade this job for anything. Best of luck to you!

10. apollotrance1

The job can easily switch over to the civilian world. Basically I would learn to fly and repair certain helicopters. I am just really looking to change my working career. I am starting to feel burnt out, day in and aday out, of my normal life. I think the only hard part of the career change would be the fact that I have a 4 year old daughter, and I know that I will not be able to be home for certain events she has.

As of now, the only thing holding me back is the weight, but I have no problem dropping the 20lbs. If I start ALL the paper work, say this week, how long until I ship out for basic?? I know I still have to go to MEPS, but how long is the basic process usually take?? My birthday is February 21st, so I was probably gonna wait til then.

11. The Weasel

The Weasel Lakers, Packers, Flyers, Backpacking, Halo Crew OT Supporter

If you qualify for the delayed entry program, which I think you don't, you can ask for your ship date. Basic is both mental and physical. You will be tried physically (smoked, PT test, etc.) and mentally (team exercises, battle buddies, etc.) I went in 2004. I know some things have changed. I don't know if they made it longer, mine was 9 weeks. As far as seeing your family, you won't until the last week, during Family Day and Graduation. I usually had a 5 min phone call once every 3 days.

My buddy is a Black Hawk Crew Chief, I know it was a 6 year contract. He loves his job, he is currently in Ft. Bragg, and is putting in his packet for Warrant. He says he has certain jobs he can get as a civilian, but he likes the Army, and is trying to make it a career. I can't remember how long his AIT was, I think 6 months. During AIT, you can see your family after school, or depending on what the Drill SGT's say. That's pretty much all the info I can tell you.

12. apollotrance1

What exactly is the delayed entry program???? I never really heard anyonr speak of this, even my friends that went in never had this offered. My friend is in the AIT program for Blackhawk Crew Chief ATM, so that is why I have that in mind

13. Julius

Julius Guest

it's a program that allows you to postpone your BCT ship date for up to 365 days (and beyond, maybe)

i was in the dep 9 months before i left for BCT because I was a senior in HS. it gave me extra time to refer two people to my recruiter and the 9 months counts towards my IRR time.

14. cossack

cossack Resident thread killer

join the air force trust me

15. Burrito10

Burrito10 New Member

Bullshit. You want to go shoot people and shit, like in COD4, right bro? Hell yeah you do. The Army will TRAIN YOU TO SHOOT PEOPLE N SHIT. Shit's tight, brah. Who cares if you are more than guaranteed to sleep in a bed every night in the AF? Who cares if the chow is better and the women hotter? WHO CARES IF THEIR DEPLOYMENTS ARE ONLY 6 MONTHS. Who the fuck wants to train in a career field they can have outside of the military? Not me, bro. Not you, either. :nono:

GO SHOOT PEOPLE AND SEE THE WORLD.

16. . :rofl:

17. Julius

Julius Guest

combat arms privates have like the best lives ever

they're always doing cool stuff in front of their companies like power jumps, side straddle hops, and sometimes they'll switch it up by sprinting for 3-5 seconds, falling on the ground, getting up to sprint again, and repeating the loop infinitely.

18. signal

signal New Member

"I should have joined the AF..."

-Every Army grunt ever

19. MrRyan

MrRyan Gary Johnson 2016 OT Supporter

This morning I was a lumber jack. They let me carry logs around.

20. cossack

cossack Resident thread killer

im and army grunt right now and i say that shit daily, i cant wait till i go to school to reclass

21. jimpie11

jimpie11 New Member

time away from family

If you are worried about not seeing your family/children for long periods of time then the army is probably not for you. You don't get leave until after you complete basic training and your ait (mos training). I am a medic and had a 10 week basic plus 2 weeks in reception for a total of 3 months, then I went to my ait which was 4 months long. So after 7 months I got to see my family for 2 weeks and then I got stationed in South Korea which is a 1 year deployment so I won't see my family for a year basically. So I will have only seen my family for 2 weeks in the past year and 7 months. I am actually granted to take leave once while I am here in Korea but the plane tickets are so expensive that I can't really make sense of flying home (they are about 1600-2000 dollars).

I was like you and wanted a change of pace in my life, but I didn't have any children and I'm not married so I don't have any holding me back. I really recommend signing up for a 2 or 3 year contract. Take the shortest one that gives you all the benefits. Don't worry about a signing bonus, cause you will save a bunch of money while you are in training because you can't spend any while you are there. Also realize this, even though you might pick a particular job in the army and train for it....hardly anyone does their actual job. When I got to my first duty station, I thought..."I'm a medic so I should be doing something medical right?"....not so much. I was put to work being a MED-canic, basically working on vehicles everyday and doing nothing medical at all. I got lucky and I did all the right stuff and was a good soldier so i get to spend 3 months working nights in the emergency room at a hospital but not everyone is guarenteed to work here in the hospital. I have seen plenty of medics spend their entire time in the motor poole doing nothing related to their training. So even though you might train to work on helicopters, don't think that you will actually be doing that all the time or even some of the time....you might do it full time but doubtful. Many people will tell you that they don't actual do what they were trained for....for example the guy saying he was a lumberjack today and got to carry wood....you do whatever has to get done...and you go wherever the army needs you. Hope that helps a little.

22. apollotrance1

Thanks for the input, really helps on my decision. Hopefully I can drop another inch or 2 off my waist so I can get in, but they said no one is leaving until early Jan anyway. I dont mind being away from my family, but I want to make sure that I will get paid correctly so I can pay for my apartment for my family.