MIL Considering the NAVY! Got questions about boot...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Mycophiles, Feb 7, 2007.

1. Mycophiles

Mycophiles OT Supporter

I'm considering the navy to put me through nursing school and to eventually be deployed around the world. Maybe I'll be able to see some crap ya know. I have a couple questions about boot though. I am a smoker. I've smoked since I was 18 with a couple stints off. 6 months here 4 months there. Mostly light cigeretts and now for the past couple years ultra light cigeretts. I'm 29 and for the past year now all I've been doing is gaining weight. I'm 225 now and the heaviest I've ever been. Before, during high school and in college I could run all day. I did a lot of mt. biking and was in fairly good shape. I'm worried now if I went to boot how hard it would be. Could anyone give me an idea of what boot is like and what kind of work I need to put in before I go there?

2. mrduke

mrduke OT Supporter

You'll do lots of PT and get in shape pretty quickly, but get in better shape before you go. I'd have to look up your age group but guys my age (22) have to run a mile and a half in 13:15 and do at least 50 pushups and 50 situps in 2 minutes (seperately). You will also quit smoking once you get there, it's the new navy.

:mamoru:

Srsly, get in better shape. The physical part isn't atrocious (think Marines) but it isn't easy either, especially if you're a big guy. You could also stay at your current weight and the RDCs will be glad to put you on the fat kid diet. We had a guy lose 40 pounds in the 8 weeks of boot while I was there. Hope some of this helped.

3. cRaZe

cRaZe 3rd world slummin

How tall are you?

I'm 6' 1" and I weigh 230 but i've got a 34" inch waist and I lift 4 times a week and run a lot and most people think I weigh 200'ish.

Weight is deceptive. height and measurements are all that matter.

I'm also going navy very soon. took the asvab monday and got a 82 and doing the big meps day this thursday or friday.

go to forums.military.com there's an entire forum for people joining the navy.

4. cRaZe

cRaZe 3rd world slummin

oh snap noticed you are also in houston :eek3: Would be cool to ship with a OG'ish ot'er :coolugh:

5. PlutoBHG

PlutoBHG New Member

stop smoking and get in shape before you leave

6. Sharkticon

Sharkticon The safest place in combat is on an AEGIS Class Gu

Best answer. Get into a mindset to PT. I'm sure things have changed since I was in boot. I was in the FatBoy program when I got to bootcamp. I did 4 times as much PT as those who were already in shape. I went in at 244 pounds and came out 190.

7. Mangos

Mangos New Member

fatboy program? :wtf:

8. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

I thought the Navy was the fat boy program...

9. bloodred83

bloodred83 im in ur cost gard, savin' ur boatz

That way the cig's taste better when you're on the fantail of your first ship and sucking them down w/ the rest of your shipmates w/ cutter butts. :mamoru:

10. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

:rofl: we are getting rid of our fatties with a quickness!

11. PlutoBHG

PlutoBHG New Member

wtf are you doing out of your hole? :ugh:
    go back to sleep on the DDRT and/or chart table!...:wavey:

12. Sharkticon

Sharkticon The safest place in combat is on an AEGIS Class Gu

What's not to understand?

Those that were over body fat/did not make height-weight requirement were on the "program." All we did was PT more than anyone else. Heck, I lost 50 pounds in 8 weeks.

I'm not sure what they call it these days.

13. FSTMX5

FSTMX5 New Member

from what i've heard from the navy folks here great lakes was a joke

14. Mycophiles

Mycophiles OT Supporter

thanks for all the responses. I'm not even sure I'll be let in. Just as one person already said, I'm 29 and overweight. I might want to eliminate one of those hinderances before I go and I can't go back in time so.....\

Anyway, one more question before I go to a recuiter. I had open heart surgery when I was 14 for what ended up being an anurism on my aorta resulting from a coarctation. (imagine a pice of string tied around a blood vessel restricting flow) Anyway, I had surgery to fix that problem and I am In perfect health as far as that goes but I"m not sure what the Navy's entrance policy is on that. Does anyone know?

15. PlutoBHG

PlutoBHG New Member

that sounds like something that would keep you out, i wasnt a recruiter but my current LPO just got back from recruiting and he might know if you want me to ask, either way my advice would be, if you are absolutely SURE you will not be affected by this in anyway now, dont even mention it, they will not find out unless you have some kind of problem with it after you join..:hs:

16. pew pew pew

pew pew pew OT Supporter

uhmm what if you end up doing something that requires a more stringent medical (flight physical perhaps?), would they look back on on your records then? at that point it seems kind of late to mention "btw, i had open heart surgery, teehee , totally slipped my mind"

17. PlutoBHG

PlutoBHG New Member

they dont have access to any medical records you have in your history prior to service without your consent, this being said, you have to give consent sometimes to get things like ts clearances....