MIL Considering the National Guard

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Carl Brutananadilewski, Aug 10, 2006.

1. Carl Brutananadilewski

Carl Brutananadilewski Active Member

Just curious if anyone has any personal experience with the Guard. I'd like to go into the military, specifically Infantry, but I already have a full time job that isn't going anywhere and I don't want to resign to enlist for active duty. Also, I feel that if I don't enlist at some point, when I get older I will regret it.

There are at least three NG duty stations that have elements of the 32nd Infantry Division near me, so drill would be easy on the weekends as well.

Any thoughts?

ib:ugh:

2. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

Guard has better benefits than Reserves. I have heard (but have no personal experience) that Guard can be more of a "good old boy" network than the Reserves.

My son worked with a Guard unit for a couple of months when he was deployed in Iraq. He said they were every bit as good as anything his unit had to offer (he's in the 3rd Infantry Division). Part of this has to do with the fact that Guard (and Reserve) members tend to be older and therefore more mature than their active duty counterparts.

3. GiRaff3

GiRaff3 New Member

my father is a SGM is the Pa NG. those units are getting cycled through and deployed quite a bit. if it isn't to the sand box, then it is the various other locations around the world that the NG is supporting right now. if you do not mind traveling or potentially being in danger, than i say give it a go. infantry is a bonified way to get busy right now if you are in the army...

benefits? maybe you would get a bonus to join. the montgomery gi bill is always there. do you have any college credits or a degree?

goodluck, if you have any more questions, feel free to ask.

4. kidhero

kidhero not really a hero, really just a big fat phony

army national guard gets paid better and has more benefits (not a whole lot) than marine corps reserve

5. smokie700

smokie700 right near da beach, Boiiiii

I'm in the guard right now as infantry. Your best best would be to talk to a recruiter in your area and find out when the last deployment was and when the next is expected. (The date they give may not be accurate but at least you will have some type of timeframe) You can volunteer for optional deployments or Temp Active duty service work. If you would like to talk about this on a one on one conversation, just pm me.

Right now the guard has quite a few incentives to join. 15k-20k bonus, most states offer free state college, base privilages(sp), and couple of state specfic bonuses. After you join you can get 2k per person you are able to get to join the guard.

6. Carl Brutananadilewski

Carl Brutananadilewski Active Member

I sent an email to a NG recruiter about a month ago asking about a few things, and he whored out the 20k enlistment bonus for infantry. Dunno if that is still the case, but I'd imagine it is due to the ongoing recruitment problem.

In any event, I wouldn't be enlisting for another few months anyway. WI has some pretty decent educational benefits for its' guard members. Smokie, you have a PM.

7. bassjunky

bassjunky I'm baaaaa-ack!

Airport Security!