MIL considering the AF

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by northw3st, May 24, 2008.

1. northw3st

northw3st New Member

I have my MBA, but it seems that the business world is for tools. i hate waking up to go sit at a desk all day. i need more out of life.

my question is, since i already have my college eduation, would i have to go through basic boot camp? or would I just go through officer camp?

any advice or anything? signing up for the military is a big decision. some people say it's real hard, some people say it's not that bad. i don't mind difficult challenges, i just want to make sure it's overall a good experience.

2. brackac

brackac Fuck all of this. OT Supporter

If you are looking to escape a desk job the AF is probably the worse choice as an officer. Even though all officers do a large amount of paperwork, and desk work, the AF seems to do the most. I personally have three friends that transferred from the AF to the Army because of that. They all went from being Comm Officers in the AF to being Combat Arms Officers in the Army.

3. northw3st

northw3st New Member

interesting. the only thing is, i've always heard the air force is the best one to go in if you don't want to lose your civilian life completely. not that im afraid to do the others, but the air force seems to fit my needs the best.

the main thing i want to do is get back in shape. im not in bad shape, but i need extra motivation. i need it to be a part of my job. i don't really mind doing paper work, i just don't really see my life being what i wanted it to be right now. i need more sense of achievement. all my friends are afraid of the military, so i get no support from them. i really need to talk face to face with someone who has done it. i need to know things like, how often you get to visit your family, etc.

4. brackac

brackac Fuck all of this. OT Supporter

The Air Force does try and model itself more like a corporation and less like a military service than the other branches, which I disagree with 100% but that's neither here nor there.

5. dmcgill

dmcgill New Member

this is true.

also, if you want extra motivation to get in shape and work out, the air force isn't the answer. especially as an officer. i dont think PT is allowed in the air force.

6. NEp8ntballer

NEp8ntballer New Member

yeah, I almost tripped over my own feet when one of our NCOs said, "yes?" after I knocked on the door. I still reported in as normal but it was just weird. it's crazy how we address people by their first names...

7. ManinCamo

ManinCamo I wear big boy pants.

officer = paperwork and deskwork, unless you're flying. trust me.

<--- officer

8. northw3st

northw3st New Member

so it's pretty much just like normal civilian life? only you're living on a base or whatever?

9. Drunk Bastard Audio

Drunk Bastard Audio New Member

my short life as an officer has involved mostly briefings/meetings/paperwork and then the occasional taking a mission outside the wire when my turn comes up to be C2.

it's a glorious life, and someone has to do it.....might as well be you.

10. ManinCamo

ManinCamo I wear big boy pants.

It is, but it isn't. The atmosphere in the military is different. I understand the civilian world has rules to play by, but there are significantly more 'rules' in the military that can dictate how you run your life. The UCMJ has a whole lot of rules and laws that military has to abide by, and we lose some of our constitutional rights. We have to play by the federal/state laws off work and the military laws all the time. You also get 'normal' job stuff, but you also have to throw in military exercises, physical training, the ability to be called into work at 3 A.M. either for an emergency, or as a training session to make sure that you WOULD show up if it was an emergency, and a million other things.

Everything varies on the job, and you won't be doing any one job for more than a year or two at a time as they move officers around regularly. Officers are NOT the technical experts, they manage the folks who are the technical experts. It helps to be able to learn and figure out the operations of whats going on, but it's all about being a good manager and a leader.

I have had a few jobs just in my few short years. I started out doing project management type stuff and having to interact with people much higher in rank than I was and trying to appease them while also making sure I looked out for the best interest of the guys who worked for me and making sure MY chain of command was happy with what was going on.

Then I moved to a 24/hour workcenter where I did shift work. We tracked ongoing network status, communication equipment, and airfield equipment issues at bases around the world, tried to work toward the resolution of their problem, and keep senior leadership informed if it was a significant event, which was almost every day. Then we would brief the status of ongoing and recently resolved issues each morning. It's always fun (if your cynical) calling your boss at 2 am, their boss at 2:05, their boss at 2:10, and their boss at 2:15 about a serious issue. I hated calling folks up at 0:dark thirty.

Now I'm working doing finances (NOT what I'm trained for) for my unit and managing all the money for daily operating expenses and several million dollars in contracts. This is the most paperwork intensive civilian like job so far, I think.

But it's ok... Iraq is only a hop skip and a jump away! Remember that you WILL deploy. Probably not your first year or two, but you'll deploy at least once, probably a few times if you make a career of it.

Oh, and chances are you will live off base. As an officer you have to request to live on base, and usually only if you're married and/or have a kid or other dependant. Most live off base, but I have lived on base. brand new enlisted guys who are not married or have a kid will live on base in college dorm like rooms for a few years.

Last edited: May 25, 2008
  11. northw3st

northw3st New Member

wait. so officer enlisted guys will live in dorm like rooms for a few years?

12. Drunk Bastard Audio

Drunk Bastard Audio New Member

there's no such thing as an "officer enlisted" guy? Clarify your question, over.

13. northw3st

northw3st New Member

you said in your post new enlisted guys stay in dorms or something like that. you're not considered an enlistee coming in as an officer are you?

also, how does it work when you have a roommate? i know getting in the military can get you out of your lease, but what if you have a roommate?

14. dmcgill

dmcgill New Member

enlisted and officers are two different things.

officer. enlisted. that's it.

15. jmx2323

jmx2323 OT Supporter

and FYI its not just a hey lets go to the recruiter and sign up to be an officer, it will be close to a year from the time you go to the recruiter to the time you leave for OTS....if you get selected

16. FarBeyondDriven

FarBeyondDriven OT Supporter

They has hot wimmenz in teh Chair Force.