Considering new gaming computer now - anything new coming out w/i 6 months?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by SlyFrog, Aug 7, 2005.

1. SlyFrog

SlyFrog OT Supporter

Okay, I'm at the point where I'm going to be getting a new gaming computer within the next six months. I want to keep it as close to (preferably under) $1,000 bucks as possible. If I need to go with a Dell 9100 to do that, so be it.

My real question is this: I'm trying to hold off until around Christmas time, just to make this one work a little longer. I am, however, weak. Is there anything coming out in the next six months that will be a new wave or model, such that if you buy now, you will have "last generation" stuff?

I'm not talking about a slightly faster chip or video card, I'm talking about the equivalent of buying a P3 one month before the released the new P4 line, for example.

2. Goonigoogoo

Goonigoogoo Active Member

Are you looking to build your own or buy pre-built?

Is the PC only for gaming?

AMD recently dropped prices on their S939 line so to feel the full effects from all retailers you'd be safe to wait a month before upgrading.

3. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

There's always something new coming out. Always. Even when there is a jump from something like a P3 to a P4, the first ones usually aren't that different andif they are, they're horribly expensive for a while. Just build your machine and enjoy it.

4. SlyFrog

SlyFrog OT Supporter

Looking for "bang for buck" first, I have not been able to find a "build your own" package that comes close to Dell special deals. I am aware of the argument that Dell uses shoddy components, etc., but when I went to www.ibuypower.com, for example, dropping in the same components as a dual core Pentium 2800 ends up costing hundreds more than a Dell computer. So I would try to build my own if I could find a package that was slightly better priced than Dell at comparable power, I haven't (through newegg or otherwise).

Please note that I am not rejecting the idea that you get better components from build your own, merely that for me, the better quality does not manifest itself as being worth hundreds of dollars in increased cost. So if I could get the equivalent or better components at the same prices as a pre-built Dell, I'd do it.

Almost solely for gaming, routine word processing, and internet use. No graphics design or other special uses.

Good note on the AMD, I would definitely consider them (again, if I could get a package that truly rivals a Dell prebuilt).

So you know the type of thing I'm looking at, I'm considering a Dell 9100 Pentium dual core 2800, Nvidia 256MB 6800, 160MB HD, 512MB RAM (I'll upgrade that myself, Dell charges stupid amounts for Ram), dual DVD/CD RW drives, 19"/20" flat screen for right around or under $1,000.

I'm having a tough time coming close to that (when you factor in not having to buy XP, other software, etc., and truly consider all the components) on a build your own or non-Dell pre-built source.

5. JaJae

JaJae New Member

It's actually often cheaper to build your own, if you buy the parts and do the labor yourself. You can often save hundreds.

That setup from dell is probably going to end up costing you about $1500...

6. SlyFrog

SlyFrog OT Supporter

I've heard that so often, but never been able to actually do it when I've tried to put a package together.

Not taking a shot at you (I appreciate the advice), you're not the only one who has said it. I've just never been able to actually find all of the components at a comparable price to a pre-built.

7. JaJae

JaJae New Member

Have you shopped Newegg?

8. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Dell gets such good prices on their components and runs on pretty slim margins so you'd have to build a real piece of shit to save any money over them except at the very high end. Like if you want 2GB of RAM, Dell is going to rape you on the upgrade so your home built becomes more competitve. I built my own because I can get the exact components I want and I never buy cheap junk. I don't care if it costs more. I get a machine that's perfectly suited to me, perfectly stable, and I know I can replace any component easily. Plus, I have an actual Windows XP CD, something Dell doesn't do anymore.

9. SlyFrog

SlyFrog OT Supporter

Yeah, I can't manage to get it done there either.

I will admit that since Dell only sells Pentium, it is difficult to compare Dell Pentium pre-builts versus NewEgg AMD pricing. Kind of apples and oranges (particularly to someone who doesn't follow computer component trends closely).

If you are wondering, I'm fairly comfortable that I could build my own from components. I've got a good selection of "how to" sites bookmarked, I understand what the components are, and I can read and follow instructions. I'm not computer illiterate, I'm just not hardcore (e.g. I understand the concept of bottlenecks, throwing tons of RAM into a low CPU or videocard system, the idea of dipswitch settings, etc., but I do not follow and understand the specific benefits of SATA hard drives, AGP versus PCI, for example, I just know there are differences and you need to worry about compatability). I have general ideas as to what technical items are better (e.g. I understand that if you are doing AMD, you need a 939 motherboard, because it has greater upgrade options in the future and is not a "dead" standard).

Just throwing some stuff out so you have some idea of what I know and don't know.

10. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Don't worry about dip switches. I haven't seen those in years. Motherboards are jumperless now except for maybe a clear CMOS jumper. PCI video cards are dead for new machines. AGP is being replaced by PCI Express. New higher-end boards will have PCI Express x16 slots for video. That's the future. Get it. Same thing with SATA hard drives.

11. SlyFrog

SlyFrog OT Supporter

So, just so you know what I'm doing, here's a sample AMD machine that I tried to put together at newegg.com quickly:

ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

Model #: A8N-SLI Deluxe

$164.00 $164.00

Antec Solution SLK3800B Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Rackmount Case 400Watt (SP400) SmartPower 2.0 ATX 12V 2.0 for AMD™ & Intel systems Power Supply - Retail

Model #: SLK3800B

$99.00 $99.00

SAMSUNG Black IDE DVD Burner Model TS-H552U/BEBN BLK - OEM

Model #: TS-H552U/BEBN BLK

$39.99 $39.99

LITE-ON Beige IDE DVD-ROM Drive Model SOHD-16P9S - Retail

Model #: SOHD-16P9S

$20.00 $20.00

ARCTIC COOLING ACS64U 90mm Cooling Fan/Heatsink - Retail

Model #: ACS64U

$13.49 $13.49

HITACHI Deskstar 7K250 HDS722516VLSA80 -13G0254 160GB 7200 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard Drive - OEM

Model #: HDS722516VLSA80

$82.50 $82.50

Logitech Cordless Desktop Optical 967320-0403 Black PS/2 RF Wireless Standard Keyboard Mouse Included - OEM

Model #: 967320-0403

$31.95 -$7.00 Instant

$24.95

CORSAIR ValueSelect 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered System Memory Model VS2GBKIT400C3 - Retail

Model #: VS2GBKIT400C3

$199.50 $199.50

Fuji Plus FP-988D Silver-Black 19" 12ms LCD Monitor - Retail

Model #: FP-988D

$50.00 Mail-in Rebate

$299.00 -$10.00 Instant

$289.00

Microsoft Windows XP HOME Edition With Service Pack 2 - OEM

Model #: N09-01152

$91.95 $91.95

AMD Athlon 64 3700+ San Diego 1GHz FSB Socket 939 Processor Model ADA3700BNBOX - Retail

Model #: ADA3700BNBOX

$279.00 $279.00

CREATIVE Sound Blaster Live! 24bit 70SB041000000 8 (7.1) Channels PCI Interface Sound Card - Retail

Model #: 70SB041000000

$39.99 $39.99

Leadtek PX6800TDH Geforce 6800 256MB DDR PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail

Model #: PX6800TDH-256M

$255.00 $255.00

12. huntz0r

huntz0r New Member

That's a pretty good setup, and the nice thing is you will be able to upgrade it to be twice as fast down the road thanks to Socket 939 and SLI. Antec case is a good choice. Couple suggestions:

You'd get better bang for your buck by dropping back the processor speed and upgrading the video. CPUs are so fast and games so GPU-bound these days that a 3500+ with a 6800GT will certainly be faster than a 3700+ with a 6800. The faster 3D card isn't in any danger of outrunning the slower CPU.

I'd get a Seagate Barracuda rather than the Deskstar, Seagate just seems to be more reliable than any other brand, and they still carry a 5-year warranty unlike most other drives (including Hitachi) that have dropped to 3 years.

I don't know a thing about that monitor, good or bad. Fair bet at least you won't have ghosting problems, and it's pretty cheap, so I suppose you can't go too terribly wrong with it... just be prepared to possibly find a dead pixel or two.

Oh yeah, that beige DVD-ROM might not look too hot in your case... minor oversight. ;)