MIL considering joining the Navy

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Jesus, Jun 4, 2008.

1. Jesus

Jesus OT Supporter

i am 22 years old, and i just started college for a degree in education. i am having a rough time living with my mother and working part time, i really dont have enough money to pay her what she needs and live comfortably for myself. i heard that i can earn credits toward my major in education while being enlisted in the navy. i also enjoy the thought of free food and room and board and also being paid while being an enlisted. i would like some input from people with this experience, i would like to know what my chances are of actually obtaining a job in the navy that would get me some college credits. also, any other information would be helpful, because i am pretty much in the dark here. ttyl, finalboss

2. aim2kill

aim2kill New Member

im 20, enlisted and have about 40 credits just from my initial schooling alone. also if your a hard charger, the navy will pay for your school, not to mention the GI bill if you in for just a single enlistment.
    to get a feel on pay, look up the pay charts on google (sry, no link) pm me for more questions as i dont check this forum much :bigthumb:

3. dmcgill

dmcgill New Member

4. FarBeyondDriven

FarBeyondDriven OT Supporter

My advice?

1) PICK A JOB AT MEPS If you don't like it, you can cross rate later, do not under any circumstances go undesignated.
    2) Research on the interwebs what the job you're looking at actually entails. No one ever tells people that Hull Techs also get to unclog the shitters on the boat.
    3) I would definitely say go aviation.
    4) Anything your recruiter promises you, GET IN WRITING BEFORE YOU LEAVE FOR BOOT CAMP! They will NOT fix it once you get to boot camp or after boot.

5. widds2v

widds2v Active Member

"1) PICK A JOB AT MEPS If you don't like it, you can cross rate later, do not under any circumstances go undesignated."

The undesignated thing is the truth, however TRY and not pick something you wouldn't like just because you can change later. You have to wait a couple years to crossrate once your rated and you don't want those years to be miserable.

6. FarBeyondDriven

True. I should have been a little more clear.

I would say stick to aviation.

7. Jesus

Jesus OT Supporter

why go aviation?

8. widds2v

widds2v Active Member

Engineers & Aviation seem to form the closest bonds with who you work with, probably because you'll be among the hardest (physically) working people on the boat.

You'll learn quickly the phrase "choose your rate, choose your fate".

9. VolksDragon

VolksDragon New Member

It's been quite some time, but I would pick a nice clean rate where advancement is easy. (No engineering or boatswains bullshit)

When I was in , the OS, ET and ST's got promoted like it was going out of style.

10. widds2v

widds2v Active Member

ET's have a pretty bad promotion % after E4 (which is a gimme anyways), but they have some of the highest re-enlistment bonuses (upwards of $75,000) along with FC's. IT's have been pretty high up to E5, but it's gone down a bit (low 40% make E5 now... E6 is something stupid like 5%). CTI's have been damn near 100% all the way to chief for years.

OS's used to be pretty high % advance until they opened it up, and it became the thing to crossrate to if you were a deck seaman, now it's dropped, along with QM which was up near 100% for E4 and has dropped a lot.

Less military talk more trance tracks volks :)

11. widds2v

widds2v Active Member

MA is one of those ones I think most people join thinking they're going to be cops then realize you're paperwork bitches. Civilians stand guard on bases now, and ships you're a babysitter.

12. VolksDragon

VolksDragon New Member

I DID say it had been a while. I was in the desert the first time, brother. That feels like a different lifetime ago...

13. widds2v

widds2v Active Member

Honestly best advice is plan for the worst and make your decisions around that. Plan on going to a ship for your entire first enlistment (yes I know some get lucky and get shore straight of school, but we're being realistic, no point in planning on a 10% chance). Plan on being on a carrier if you go aviation (life is better on the small ships for aviation rates, but most AO's for example will be on carriers not amphibs). Hell just plan on a carrier for most anything since that will be the worst of any sea time you do.

If you do all of that then reassess what you like & want to do in the Navy I think it will be more enjoyable. Everything also depends on the type of person you are. In the Navy you have two groups, the ones that do everything and the ones that bullshit all day. If you're in the first group, going to a big ship is going to suck, as every issue now becomes your problem, and you're not going to get help from the rest of your team. If your the latter, being on a big ship is awesome, as you're one of a dozen or more.. you get to stay out of the spotlight and just cruse control your way through your enlistment. Less issues on smaller ships = better for the first group of people that do stuff. Sucks more for people who don't know shit as people now notice it since you're one of a couple onboard.

14. Sharkticon

Sharkticon The safest place in combat is on an AEGIS Class Gu

Pig? :bigthumb:

15. FarBeyondDriven

The AF security around here is bored out of their minds. They try to pull over planes trying to taxi into spot at home...

My favorite was a pilot shouting out the window "Yeah, because if I was gonna steal a plane, this is where I'd park it."