MIL Considering joining the military

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by masan, Nov 1, 2005.

1. masan

masan Pardon the Interruption

I've been juggeling with the idea since I've been having trouble with school. I attended Georgia Tech for about 2 years then started attending a community college due to low grades. It happens that my grades I received from GT (which were terrible) affect my overall gpa so much that it's almost impossible for me to transfer over to another school. Now the idea of joining the military is a bit more attractive. I don't think I want to make a career out of it but I think it's the experience that I find so attractive. I guess I'm hoping someone here had been in my shoes before could lend me some advice. TIA.

2. bassjunky

bassjunky I'm baaaaa-ack!

Advice I got from my father but never took...stick out the college thing. Get a degree in whatever...basketweaving...If the military still looks inviting after you get your degree, join....but join as an officer and at least get paid to get your ass shot at. Oh and go Infantry branch. Airborne.

3. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

I would echo what bassjunky said. You will regret for the rest of your life not getting your degree. You can easily convince yourself that you can always go back to school whenever you want, but this is a copout and people that drop out of college rarely go back to finish.

Stick it out. If nothing else, at least get your associates. Then if you still want to enlist go ahead. If you get your bachelors, go the officer route. The pay and working conditions for officers are much better.

4. masan

masan Pardon the Interruption

What if you have some college credit (70 hrs)?

5. F8

F8 New Member

Which branch are you considering? Don't think that by joining the military you'll get out school. Your first year or two (depending on branch and job) is just different schools. If you want to join so you can serve your country, great idea. If you want to join because you don't want to go to school, bad idea.

6. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

finish.