MIL Considering Joining the Coast Guard

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Protoman, Mar 12, 2007.

1. Protoman

Protoman New Member

I am about to complete my degree in Finance this summer and I was considering joining the Coast Guard or the Air Force Academy. Could you guys give me some pointers on what I would be expecting and what to look out for? I just feel that it is my duty to serve this country because it has provided me with ample opportunity that I wouldn't have recieved else where. Would I be able to go to OCS? How difficult is that path? What are the pros/cons of being an officer? Thanks for lending me your ears, have a great day!

2. pregnant_King

pregnant_King New Member

First of all, that oppurtunity you could get, maybe even better in Canada and western Europe and Austrailia et c. Second of all if you want to serve America there are 2 ways, good for 2 scenarios.

1. Coast guard keeps the immigrants at bay, im pro immigration but theway its going in america... Its too much and will destroy America one day.

2. Air Force, lets be honest here ww3 is close, maybe you want to shoot down chinese planes?

3. OkiDiver

OkiDiver New Member

Don't listen to this guy at all, I'm not sure where he's supposed to be going with all that but none of it answers your question.

If you want to join the coast guard as an officer you'll have to go through OCS. Enlisting first will put you in a 4 year obligation as an enlisted (seaman?) in the CG.

I'm not too familiar with USAF things but I'm pretty the military acadamies are just colleges that offer military training during the courses that will allow you to recieve a commision into whatever branch they deal with.

Either way you go do your research first [ usmilitary.about.com is a good place to start ] and realize that it is a minimum of a 4 year commitment.

4. Protoman

Protoman New Member

cool, thanks guys

5. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

You almost have your degree and you want to join the Academy? No go blanko nino.
    Go OCS, no matter the branch you pick.