MIL Considering joining Reserves.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by crazynova, Apr 2, 2009.

1. crazynova

crazynova OT Supporter

Unlike many, I have a great job with the local police department, and plan to become an officer when I turn 21 in a year. My department gives benefits for members in the military while on deployment and training (they will augment your military pay in order to have you stay making your regular department pay). Part of me wants to just stick out what I am doing get into the police academy and be good.

On the other hand, I wanted to join the military when I was 18, but wasnt able to due to a much too recent injury (broke femur and collarbone 6 months prior). It has now been 2 years since the accident, and I still have the desire to do something in the military, so I have been thinking of joining the Reserves as something like an Aerial Gunner or Loadmaster (I love aircraft and being in them). My only concerns would be that I would have to leave my hometown for a few months for training, which means my brother would be left with our apartment on his own.

What do you guys think? Is it worth it?

2. Tycoon

Tycoon New Member

If you've always wanted to do the military, and 100% will have a job as an officer with that department, then I don't see why not.

I'm in the national guard though, and I would honestly go that over reserve though. Just from what I have seen, and from talking to those in the reserves, the NG is the route that is best. I could go into detail why, but it's 2:30 am :hsd:

There are some great threads around here that talk about NG vs reserve.

I am in the same boat as you though to be honest, but a little different. I joined the guard when I was 17, and always wanted to become a cop. I am 22 now, graduated from college this past december with a Bachelors degree thanks to the guard. I am going on my first deployment this summer, which I don't mind. The pay is great for a single 22 year old Sgt. Once I return at 23, I plan to find a departmant that is hiring.

I have no regrets. Do you want to go to school too?

And oh, let me G-RAP you in. We split it 50/50 :mamoru:

3. Cheerio

Cheerio New Member

Don't trying to stir the pot about the honor thing. But I feel just as honored serving my deployment in Iraq and I was National Guard. I don't really see the difference as long as someone does a full tour, whether they drill one weekend a month or if they active duty all the time. At least we serve.

4. crazynova

crazynova OT Supporter

I'm not scared at all for me, but I feel like I have to fucking take care of my older brother, and think he'd be fucked if I left for a while. He's smart, and I'm probably underestimating him, but that was ony concern there.

5. thekinggovernor

thekinggovernor OT Supporter

why would you have to take care of your OLDER brother?

6. crazynova

crazynova OT Supporter

He is getting ready to start the police academy, which is like basic training (from what I hear) that you get to go home at night, with tons of assignments to do, as well as getting gear and boots ready for the next day. I think if he goes at it alone, he will fail.

7. SSG Schwartz

SSG Schwartz New Member

That is fascinating that you have that knowledge as you have no idea what unit crazynova23 will enlist into. I gotta know what connections you have in the DA that give you this information. Can you tell me when I will deploy next, because I would really like to go back?

Ok, on to reality, crazynova23, joining the Reserves you will join a unit in your area. You will be allowed to choose from the jobs that are available in your area. Talk to your local Army Recruiter to see what jobs are available and what you qualify for.

I have nothing against the NG, but I don't know what state you live in, so I cannot say anything about benefits or jobs in your area. I do know that the Reserves offer a bit more flexibility as far as assignments and opportunities than the Guard does. But find the branch that best fits you.

SSG Schwartz

8. thekinggovernor

does he have a date to start the academy?

if he can't make it through the police academy without you tucking him in at night then he shouldn't be there in the first place. There will be plenty of people there that have spouses and children to balance on top of the academy, and they will do just fine.

9. thekinggovernor

yes its extremely uncommon for a reserve unit to be involuntarily recalled to active duty. I mean it is almost unheard of that guys who signed up for a weekend a month and 2 weeks in the summer would be required to do several years of active duty instead.

10. nsxrebel

nsxrebel New Member

First of all, fuck your brother. He's a grown man, you don't have to take care of him. Unless you a family member that can't take care of themselves, never put them above you and your future. Sounds mean, but it's the truth.

You will deploy, that's a given. How often, how long? Well that depends on your unit.

You say you want to be a loadmaster/aircrew, well that alone is gonna keep you away from home a long time, about a year or so. What did you think, I'll go to basic, graduate, and hop on a plane every weekend and all will be peachy?

Before you even begin doing any of this, you will need an initial Flight Physical, so anything medically wrong with you could be a potential disqualifier. I don't know how long Airforce basic is, but then you have Basic Loadmaster(BLM) school which is about a month long. Next you will do Loadmaster Initial Qual(LIQ), I forget how many months that is. After that you will do Loadmaster Mission Qual(LMQ), I don't remember how many more months that is. By this time you will be a basically qualified loadmaster and it will have been several months. You will also be required to attend a Water Survival course, pressurization chamber, and Survival, Evasion, Resistance, Escape (SERE) school.

Then, and only then will you be a fully qualified Loadmaster, and you would have been in about a year now. BUT, it's not over yet. Being a flyer, you don't just do your 1 weekend a month. Oh no sir, you have to maintain your qualification or you lose your flying status. There are so many hours you have to fly a month, different events/types of flights, personnel/heavy equipment/CDS airdrops, rigging for airdrop, combat off/onloads, loading the aircraft w/ forklifts/k-loaders, medevacs, and all of these will have a night/NVG variation.

So you will have to come in more than just 2 days out of the month. Most police departments/employers will work with you and let you do your military training, but not all. Sometimes you will have overnight or longer trips. Disaster reliefs will keep you away for a while, for example Katrina.

Being a flyer is a BIG commitment, even if you are reserve or guard. I myself am no longer a flyer, not because I didn't want the commitment, but because I cannot swim and pass the Marine Corps' Naval Aircrew training, but thats a whole different story.

One thing about flying with the Air Guard, you will have short/er deployments. My last deployment with the guard, we were doing 2 month rotations out of Qatar. And I still saw personnel bitching about it. :mamoru:

11. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

Are you actually telling new recruits that they stand a good chance of not deploying? :ugh2:

12. nsxrebel

nsxrebel New Member

Look into all services USMCR, USNR, USAR, USAFR, or National Guard or Air National Guard. I don't know if the Coast Guard has a reserve.

13. Tycoon

Tycoon New Member

Whoa whoa whoa. Let's not get into this deployment discussion.

I was told I would deploy instantly.

I graduated basic in 2004. I'm finally deploying in 2009. :hsugh: And fuck, I'm an 88m.

During that time, I got my Bachelor's degree, which I graudated five months ago. I could of moved to get a job and get out of the deployment, but I'd rather stay with my friends, then come back and get a job.

I just hate it when people say you will deploy, almost as if out of basic.

Just saying, fact of the matter is, no one knows if/when a person will deploy when they join :o

14. nsxrebel

nsxrebel New Member

Nobody said you will deploy straight out of basic. But chance are you will, sooner or later.

I joined in 99 but due to "bad luck" I didn't get to go to iRaq until 2004, the year I was getting out. It took me a lil over a year from when I joined to hit the fleet. At the time, my unit was doing Operation Northern/Southern Watch, some of you new school guys probably never heard of that. Only the more experienced guys from my shop got to go to those deployments.

Summer of 01 I get orders to Okinawa, I'm to be there in Jan of 02. I'm like cool, I finally get to go somewhere. Then 9/11 happens, FUCK, I got orders to Okinawa and can't go to Afhan as the squadron gets prepped to go out there. This happened the night I was home packing to fly out to Japan the following day. KC-130 from my unit crashed in Pakistan. http://www.arlingtoncemetery.net/sgermosen.htm

So I'm gone all of 2002 in Japan, come back in Jan of 03. Just as I come back my squadron is again getting ready to go back out there and I miss out again. They come back late 03 as they rotate with another squadron from the east coast. For the rest of 2003, my squadron is back home. So finally in early 04 my squadron is getting ready to rotate out there again, and I get my chance to go to Iraq.

Others luck out and never deploy. It's just luck I guess. Right/Wrong job, at the right/wrong place, at the right/wrong time, depends on how you want to look at it. I know several Sergeants, Staff Sergeants and Gunny's that have never been to a combat zone, a couple were even grunts.

15. crazynova

crazynova OT Supporter

I appreciate the advice from everyone. Unfortunately, I probably won't enlist because I think it would push me backwards from where I am at least a few years.

I haven't been thinking about it for any of the reasons most people do. My police dept will pay for my degree, even books, I have kickass healthcare, and make a lot of money (for a 20 year old). The ONLY reason I have been considering it is simply because it is something I want to do and experience in my life.

Unfortunately, when I tried to enlist active duty into the Air Force at the end of 07, I had broken my femur 6 months prior, and it was a major hinerance to getting in. The recruiter sent a prescreen deal to the doctor at MEPS (so he said) and said he would call me. I never heard anything from him unless I called him, at which point he gave me the run around.

Since then, I moved on to the career I would have wanted after I got out - law enforcement. I am already with the department I plan on staying with as a civilian employee for the next year and a half until I am 21 and old enough to go to the academy and be an officer, which I suppose is what I will continue doing.

16. nsxrebel

nsxrebel New Member

You're still young if you ever change your mind. I was planning to apply for law enforcement while I was with the Air National Guard and graduated from the academy. However, I got bored with civilian life, and missed the Marine Corps, so I reenlisted this past December. If and when I do get stationed back in CA, I will apply to be a reserve police officer. Kinda the other way around from the norm.

If you never join the military, then it wasn't meant to be. Military is not for everyone. Just don't become an asshole police officer. ;)

17. SSG Schwartz

SSG Schwartz New Member

No, I tell all my applicants that they will deploy and will die in the Army. It is only the stupid ones that believe me.

SSG Schwartz

18. nsxrebel

nsxrebel New Member

:mamoru:

19. crazynova

crazynova OT Supporter

I thought my decision was made, but I keep going back to it, so I put in for the local AF Reserve recruiter to contact me, so I can meet and learn more. I have a lot of questions about how things work with my employer. If the answers are right, I think all will be good and I may join.