Considering getting my first bike

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Insominac, Dec 15, 2009.

1. Insominac

Insominac New Member

and i know there has to be a thread somewhere in here for complete beginners. I live in Ohio, so i have to find a place to take the classes, but do i have to have a bike to take the classes? do i need one to get my license? Also, whats the best starter bike? I can scrape together about 1500$, so what are my options?

2. njftw

njftw New Member

Listen... everyone is going to give you different opinions and swear by them. Get which ever bike you can afford, and you feel you'll be happy with.

Also, yes, you should get your license... when you get on the street, drive like everyone else is going to wreck into you, not matter what.

I started on an R1 and never had a wreck... so don't listen to people tell you that you need to start on a fucking 250.

Like I said, get what you can afford... and something that you aren't going to hate

3. Insominac

Insominac New Member

So whats an R1? where is a good place to find used bikes?

4. Frequency

Frequency New Member

And you never learned to ride properly

5. Frequency

Frequency New Member

A horrible bike to begin riding on, remember you are getting your first bike, hopefully not your last.

For your budget it will be hard, out of that 1500 remember you will also need protective gear. Best place to look for a cheaper bike, craigslist, ebay, and newspaper

6. PcH

PcH Guest

An R1 is a bike made by Yamaha. It had a 1000cc size engine, absolutely ridiculous for a first time rider. I found my Ninja 500R on Craigslist and paid $2000 cash. I would recommend it if you want a sport bike.

As far as your other questions, take the MSF course regardless if your state requires it for your motorcycle endorsement on your driver's license. Invest in some gear (helmet, jacket, gloves, boots, pants) because you're investing in saving your life if and when you go down.

7. AVengeance

AVengeance Active Member

Look to spend $2k on the bike. Go less, and you'll probably spend more time learning to work on it than ride it. Spend $$ on safety. Get a helmet that's comfortable and safe. Get an armored jacket and overpants, and some good boots. Don't skimp. Replacing broken bike parts is hella cheaper than replacing broken you parts.

Before recommending any bike, what KIND of bike do you like? Sport? Cruiser? Dual-Purpose or offroad?

In my state, you get a motorcycle "permit", which is done by written test. After you've got some seat time (and hopefully taken the MSF course), you go back and take the driving portion, which trades your permit for a motorcycle license or endorsement on your existing auto license.

In my case, I hadn't ridden a motorcycle in about 10-12 years or so, and never a street bike (only small CC dirtbikes). I bought a brand new Ninja 250R, and TRAILERED IT HOME, with helmet and armored jacket in thrown in the back seat. Got home with shiney new bike, and read the owner's manual. I putted around in the yard, then on a nearby rural roads, all while reading and re-reading and self-testing on the motorcycle stuff. Went and took my permit test. Started riding the bike almost daily to work and back (45 mi. commute one-way), staying in the slow lane and enjoying the 65+mpg. After about a month (still no MSF course), I went back to the DMV and took my driver's portion, and passed it on the 1st try.

I've been riding now for about 7 months or so. I dropped my bike twice. Both times standing still, on slippery grass :hs: . No damage that didn't buff out, fortunately. I ALMOST dropped my bike making a left out of a gas station too fast (with all of about 2 weeks experience), and fortunately was able to extend my turn to the shoulder and come to a stop to collect myself. If I'd been on a literbike, I would have been laying in the ditch, quite embarassed, about 25' shy of my bike's position out in a corn field.

Good fortune and be safe.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2009
  8. 7960

7960 New Member

for MSF course, they give you a bike so you don't need one.

have you ever ridden before?

what makes you say that? something in a previous thread, or just the fact that he learned on an R1?

9. GammaRadiation

GammaRadiation Active Member

Learning to ride on an R1 is like learning to drive in a 911 GT2. ie, it's Yamaha's fastest bike.

10. njftw

njftw New Member

How the fuck are you going to tell me, knowing nothing about me sitting on your computer that I didn't learn how to ride properly?

You are a fucking nutjob.

11. njftw

njftw New Member

I'm not saying to learn on an R1 buddy, I'm just telling you that when all these guys come in here and tell you that you need to learn on a dirtbike first, then a 250, then a 500, then MAYBE a 600... you can just take it with a grain of salt.

I didn't want to waste money on a fucking 250 that nobody would want to buy after me... so I bought a brand new R1 after I took my MSF and a couple of months worth of practice on my cousin's Ninja 9. Never had an incident with the R1.

What I'm saying is if you find a bike you like, and you can afford it then buy it. Take your time learning on it whether it's a fucking 1198 or 250...

12. GammaRadiation

:rofl:

Easiest bike to sell. They move so fast, every time I have money for one I cant find one in decent condition for a decent price.

13. njftw

njftw New Member

To each their own... I'm not into buying and selling, buying and selling.

14. darkjedi

darkjedi Muay Thai expert

ninja 150

15. PcH

PcH Guest

:werd:

Those things flip faster than pancakes

16. AVengeance

AVengeance Active Member

It's why I bought one. Why spend $12k on a bike and drop a $12k bike, when you can spend half as much (and still get a new bike AND gear) and flip it for a bigger bike when you're more experienced.

Ninja 250Rs in good condition are like Jeep Wranglers- always worth a pretty penny after you've gotten lots of fun and value out of them.

Risk vs Reward.

17. njftw

njftw New Member

Well I guess if you're set on dropping it,then sure why not...

Why buy a new car if someone is just going to ding the door?

18. PcH

PcH Guest

Nobody wants to drop a bike :uh:

19. njftw

njftw New Member

And nobody wants to get their door dinged by another, or keyed in a parking lot...

Yes, shit happens.... but you shouldn't let that fear stop you from getting something you want :dunno:

20. Chiron

Chiron New Member

Comparing a door ding on a car to dropping a motorcycle whom YOU have taken off of the sidestand and are now responsible for is not a comparison.

Also, this has been tested extensively for many years. Those that start on large, high power sportbikes lack certain skills that others on lower CC sportbikes learned by being able to experience and analyze situations in slower, more manageable steps.

Unless you work in the industry and can provide real data, stop being so ignorant and indignant that your opinion is irrefutable. (Not only is power the issue, but think of that lack of weight, and excessive braking power coupled with sensitivity of mille sportbikes. You're giving flawed advice.)

21. 7960

7960 New Member

I learned on a gsxr 750, then bought a harley heritage softail deluxe.

I guess I "never learned to ride properly" either becuase I never owned a 250 and didn't work my way up from there to a 1450cc?

:bowrofl:

22. AVengeance

AVengeance Active Member

Why spend money on a flashy helmet, when a $20 pair of goggles will protect your eyes so you can see? I mean, it's not like you're setting out to grind your skull across the pavement, right? :coolugh:

Did you miss the part of his post where he says he only has a couple thou to put forth, and is looking for a "beginner" bike? If you want him to learn on a Literbike, set up a Paypal account and give him some money.

23. 7960

7960 New Member

a better post would have been "why spend $700 on a flashy helmet when an $89 one did better on the crash tests?"

24. PcH

PcH Guest

:werd:

25. GammaRadiation

My 16 year old cousin can drive a GT2 even though she has 0 fast car experience and if she's careful she'd probably not wreck. However, when put in a sticky situation she is much more likely to fuck it up and end up wrapped around a tree than someone who started with a Miata and moved their way up. :cool:

Again you wouldn't buy someone how has 0 driving experience a supercar to learn how to drive. Hopping on a liter sport bike right off the bat is even worse because even a minor mess up on a bike means you eat pavement. Building the best skills at any activity in general requires you to start with something manageable and once you can max out its potential you move on and re-learn.

I'm not going to say "you dont know how to ride" but given the option to take a ride on the back of a bike with someone who worked there way up vs someone who learned on that bike, I'd probably hop on the back with the former.