considering buying a 1994 bmw 530i.....

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by xxpanipuri, May 9, 2006.

1. xxpanipuri

xxpanipuri Gideeyup Motherfuckers....

from a friend of mine who has owned it since it had 75k miles on it and was 5 yrs old....

first the specs

1994 bmw 530i
    3.0 liter v8
    stock 215 hp
    its got some dinan goodies installed by bmw of mountain view back in 94...probably at 230-240 hp (according to my friend who's selling it)

new tires (yokohama avs db's) on the previous 5 series 16 inch wheels
    new hoses (he just had them replaced recently....)
    new radiator last yr
    new plugs
    new fuel filter
    trans fluid changed every 25-30k miles since he's owned it...
    paint is in pristine condition
    minimal chips/dings (mostly from normal driving) nothing major at all
    always been in the bay area...
    new suspension upfront with new bushings...

he's going to list it on auto trader for 7800 but he at least wants 6500 for it...

what do you guys think.....

any feedback would be appreciated...i've read some great reviews on the reliability of the 5's even in the mid 90's!

pricewise i'm seeing them go for around 6-7k with around the same miles or even more miles...

pros and cons for me to buy this car

pros:
    i know the owner he's a good friend of mine and very immaculate about his cars
    he's always maintained her well

cons:
    weary of spending 6500 on a 12 yr old bmw with 152k miles...

BUT with all the maintenance done to it
    it runs great and on the high way he still manages to get around 22-23 mpg..which is inline with the original fuel economy rating...that shows that the car is right now running optimally...and very strong...

what do you guys think anyone who has experience with this i'd love to hear your thoughts on this good or bad...

thanks! :)

this'd be my weekend toy .... i've always love this particular body style....and this is my oppurtunity to own one ...besides at the end of the yr we're buying a new 550i for the wife to use every day.....so this'd be my car i'd take out for drives on the weekends and maybe to work once a week :)

oh and here are some pics...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. integraMAHxC

integraMAHxC New Member

thats a solid looking car. my friend has a 95 w/ 200k miles. it runs like a charm. as long as its well taken care of and maintained i wouldnt worry. try to get him down to 6000$ though

3. xxpanipuri

xxpanipuri Gideeyup Motherfuckers....

yea going to try to get a better price but 6500 is reasonable based on what i've been seeing...

cuz he's a good friend i can give him 3500 upfront and pay the rest 3000 over 3-4 months

4. Eric BMW

Eric BMW New Member

my inline 6 m20 engine lasted me 290,000 miles before the tranny died. A thing of beauty. Of course as always expect coolant system failures and years of cursing. Once you get it get the cooling system checked out. Put in a new thermostat and get a new water pump with a metal impellor blade.

5. MP525i

MP525i New Member

is the engine in working order? nikasil vs. alusil block