A&P Considering applying @ RIT for Photography

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by hurleyint1386, Dec 7, 2008.

1. hurleyint1386

hurleyint1386 Someone has sand in their vagina

So I've been contemplating possibly going to RIT for photography. I live here in Rochester, so it's not far at all. The only thing is that I spent 3.5 years with Computer Science. I was thinking about trying to dual Major, since I don't have much more with CS. I'm just curious as to what kinds of courses I'd be looking at in a photography major. Someone mentioned a combined physics and optics class that is needed, and other things like that. I've never been the best at science (Computer Science is different). Anyone that went to RIT, could you tell me what kinds of classes you had to take? Also, what kinds of scholarships should I apply for? I'm a poor mofo :hs: Someone I work with was telling me about how at RIT, you have access to every camera and lens you could think of for free (of course at timed intervals). But she said she's waiting until they are able to get some D3x's in to play around with one. Any information would be a lot of help. Thanks!

2. Tedrzz

Tedrzz New Member

Alright, I'm going to RIT right now so here is some insider information from a second year student.

First off, since RIT is on a quarter system you need more credits to graduate(The advertising photo program I'm in you need 183 credits to graduate) and thus they will take you at probably a lower grade status than you think. I went to a local community college for two years back in MI, thinking I would transfer as a Junior. Nope, I'm a sophomore still.

Also, there are 4 different core programs you could go into. Photojournalism, Biomedical, Fine Art, and Advertising (I'm in advertising). Obviously the Biomedical has more science involved, and since I like taking pictures I stayed far far away from that.

Your first two years at RIT you take basic core classes like drawing, liberal arts, wellness, etc. As far as the photography classes go, there are 6 general classes you take. Photo arts 1 through Photo arts 6. I'm in PA5 right now. There is also another "photo" class called Materials and Processing and that is a year long course that covers everything behind the scenes of photography such as nodal points, f/stops, image quality, color, DOF, etc..

Along with your major you need to declare a liberal arts concentration (Note: Not a minor, just a concentration) and there is a huge list to choose from such as different languages, history, ASL (List found here http://www.rit.edu/cla/concentration_courses.php)

As far as a dual major, I dunno man unless you want to seriously die I wouldn't try that. I'm not even sure that RIT offers that.

The thing that is hard about RIT is the quarter systems are 11 weeks long instead of 15 or 16 week semesters. Keep in mind they still cover everything, just a much faster paced working environment.

Do I like RIT? YES. Is it hard? God yes. But kids that graduate from RIT with a photo degree have a really high percentage of making a great life out of it.

Here is my course load for this quarter to give you an idea:
    Photo Arts 5- 5 credit hours: Whole quarter dedicated to portraits. Pretty straight forward.
    Materials and procc.-3 credit hours: Like I said, the behind the scenes of photography.
    Western Art and Architecture-3 credit hours: A seriously tough class that you would have to take unless you've taken it already (Which I'm guessing you haven't based on your CS major)
    American Slavery- 4 credit hours: History is my liberal arts concentration so I'm taking a class on american slavery.
    Total credits: 15

As far as getting any kind of camera and lens you could ever dream of..Yep that is correct with one hitch. First year students only have access to the lower end models like Nikon d200s, canon 40ds etc. No 5ds, d3s etc. First year and then second year students can get the 5ds, d3s d3x's etc...Then third and fourth year have access to the digital medium format cameras (Which I can't freaking wait to use).

Also we have access to pretty much every kind of lighting equipment you could ever dream of. First year students can only use continuous tungsten lighting equipment which is pretty gay IMO, but I think they do it in order to save the strobes for upper class kids.

As far as studios go, there are about 30 + huge studios for everyone to use, there really is never a time that you can't get a studio.

And then there is the digital workflow. There are to classrooms that fit about 25 kids and each is equipped with Mac Pros + 24" monitors +HP inkjet printers. I'm not really a fan of the HP printers so I go to the other option which is called the ESP. There are appx 40 or 50 24" iMacs connected to Epson 3800's which I love to use. All of those are also connected to 12,000 dollar scanners called Flextights that are made by hassleblad and are unreal to scan with. I've only scanned 4x5 a handful of times but everytime the results are unreal.

Also RIT has their own image printing lab called the ISL. The best part of that is the printer called a Durst Lambda. It's made by Kodak and RIT is the only college in the world that has one. Instead of printing inkjet it prints with color lasers (each laser costs over 10,000 dollars) onto light sensitive paper. I made a 22x28 print using it and not only did it come out amazingly but it only cost 14 dollars maybe. (Here is a pricing sheet of their services http://cias-info.rit.edu/images/d/dc/ISM_Price_Sheet_032608.pdf)

So yeah, RIT is expensive but the opportunity it provides to its students is amazing. Based on your GPA you can get a scholarship just for having good grades. They gave me a 3,000 dollar scholarship per quarter just for having a 3.5 GPA. I'm a bartender and I have a regular that I recently discovered used to work in Admissions at RIT. She said the photo program is the most competitive to get into so be prepared to show your best work.

Hope this answered some of your questions and I'd be happy to answer any more of them.

3. hurleyint1386

Wow, that was incredibly detailed, and I really appreciate your time for writing that.

It definitely sounds really competitive. I don't plan on applying until probably Fall '09, so I've got some time to learn more and try to generate a worthy portfolio.

Do you know if RIT offers any kind of shadowing for classes? I'd love to sit in on some classes to see how things are there.

One thing I'd be interested in checking out would be the hub. I've been told that it's a great place to go to for prints and things like that. I might go check it out some time this week or something because it's open to people outside of RIT as well, but it's more expensive than if you were a student there.

The physics and optics class that someone told me about was the M & P class you mentioned. It actually sounds like some science I wouldn't mind learning.

I really wish I had discovered photography before I graduated high school because at this point, I don't know what I should do. I would probably transfer in to RIT as a sophomore, but I might have to retake some classes. I passed Calc 1 and Calc 2, but not well enough to transfer I don't think. I hated Calculus. What kind of math is involved with Photography?

I don't know which concentration I would be interested in doing, but I assume it doesn't really matter until I were to finish the core classes anyways. They would probably help me determine which one I would like better anyways.

I might look into ASL as well because where I work, a lot of deaf people come in looking for help with things and we have about 4 people on staff that sign, and it's something I'd definitely like to learn.

The last problem I might have is that because I went to school for 3.5 years, I'm only allowed 1.5 years more of financial aid, and that is going to be key to being able to afford RIT.

I know this posted is all scattered, so I apologize for that haha. I'm sure I will have more questions because It's something I'm really interested in. Thanks a lot Tedrzz

4. Tedrzz

Tedrzz New Member

As far as math classes I never took any in college and there aren't any required for the program.

The math in the M&P class is pretty basic, mostly just plug and chug using equations. Nothing too mind boggling.

As far as shadowing, I have no idea. I'd go talk to someone at RIT.

5. hurleyint1386

Ok cool. Maybe I'll try making an appointment with someone from the school to sit down and talk to them about shadowing or something like that. Maybe I could check out some Computer Science courses and Photography courses. I should probably actually check out the school before applying. I've been to Park Point a bunch, but not in any of the classes or anything.

6. Bloody Sunday

Bloody Sunday OT Supporter

cliffs

but you forgot to mention the other downside.

Providence sucks major balls.

edit: i'm dumb

Last edited: Dec 8, 2008
  7. aCab

aCab New Member

get your CS degree first. Then do something else. Why waste all that CS time?

8. aCab

aCab New Member

On another note - do I have what it takes to make it at RIT?

9. hurleyint1386

If you don't, then I certainly don't haha

I will complete my CS degree. I will probably get farther with CS than I would with Photography, but it would be great to have both. I have about 4 more upper class CS classes until I get my degree, but I need a few more general classes as well. I'd like to combine my interest in web development and photography some how, but I'm not sure how.

10. aCab

aCab New Member

Design.

Check out www.NickOnken.com for his story.

cliffs - he did design work first, then started shooting for the clients he was designing for.

11. aCab

aCab New Member

I really think photography is something that ultimately can't be taught. sure they can teach you the technical stuff, but the other stuff is from you - things they can't teach you.

12. hurleyint1386

That's true. The best thing is to practice. But I have to admit that my photography class this semester really did help with how to use the camera. Proper exposure, white balance, qualities of light, etc. But I plan on just practicing more and more. Maybe I'll consider it for freelance work.

I've thought about Design, but I'm more of a developer than anything else.

13. aCab

aCab New Member

Go and work for Adobe or some other photography related company. :mamoru:

I only shoot 4-5 days a month. :o I really need to shoot more. My camera hasn't been out of the bag in a month. :wtc:

14. hurleyint1386

I take my camera out every day, but I haven't taken any pictures lately because its dirty behind my view finder and I need to get it cleaned. It doesn't change the pictures because it's the view finder and not the sensor, but it's annoying to look at. I'm going to be getting a sensor cleaning soon I think and they said they would try to clean it out for me. If they can't, I might have to ship it to Canon :noes:

15. aCab

aCab New Member

It's on the focus screen

16. hurleyint1386

Oh ok. I need to get that out and either remove the debris or maybe replace it.

17. Tedrzz

Tedrzz New Member

Providence?

18. Bloody Sunday

Bloody Sunday OT Supporter

oh snap. i have a major reading problem.

i seriously thought this thread was about RISD

19. Keegan

Keegan New Member

Sounds like some pretty sweet benefits for students going there. I'd love to be set free in the equipment and printing rooms ;)

20. McDick

McDick New Member

I can teach you how to swear in ASL. :mamoru:

by the way i am deaf and i go to RIT. I have a lot of friends who are majoring in photography. It is nice to know that you wanted to learn ASL.

21. Tedrzz

Tedrzz New Member

What year are you?

22. McDick

McDick New Member

4th year

23. Tedrzz

Tedrzz New Member

what's your major?

24. hurleyint1386

That's awesome. You type well for being deaf. That might sound weird, but from what I was told, people who are deaf and sign using ASL have a different way of setting up their sentences than English. When I was selling an iPhone to someone who was deaf, he wrote down a lot of stuff with words switched around.

I enjoy helping people who are deaf because a lot of them expect for hearing people to not be able to help them, but sometimes when I try, they really appreciate it.

We definitely need to have a Rochester meet some time.

25. hurleyint1386

Holy shit McDick, your AV looks exactly like my grandmother.