GUN Considering a Ruger Mark II

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by huntz0r, Jun 1, 2005.

1. huntz0r

huntz0r New Member

This would be my first handgun purchase. For that matter, I've never even shot a handgun, I've plinked with .22 rifles and BB guns years ago but that's about it.

Points for: I figure it'll be good to learn with since I don't really know what to expect out of a bigger caliber pistol or how to handle one and that's kinda intimidating to me. MK4 is pretty inexpensive, even new, and ammo is dirt cheap. Lots of neat accessories if I feel the need to waste money.

Points against: I read it's a pain to take apart all the way, though apparently that doesn't have to be done much, mainly just removing and cleaning the barrel... or something like that. This doesn't worry me all that much, I'm sure I can find help if I need to. Useless for defense, I'm not really concerned with that, I'll just be learning how to shoot holes in paper (and soda cans and small objects). I will of course look into taking one of the NRA courses if I do buy.

Any thoughts, recommendations, flames? :)

2. GlocksRock

GlocksRock Glock > You

Yeah, it's a great gun, I would like to own one myself.

3. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

.22LR is a great round. I shoot mine the most. Usually put several hundred through it for every 100 rounds I put through my 915.

I have a Ruger 22/45 and it's pretty simple to break down and is also pretty accurate. I really like it.

4. Y2kAccord

Y2kAccord Everything happens for reasons I just dont know

From what they told me when I was looking to buy one.. they are a #$%@ to break down and clean.

I have fired one and they are fun to shoot.

For a first gun or learning the basics and plinkin I would say you cant go wrong

cant beat $8 for 550rds either :bigthumb:

5. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

Is the breakdown on them any different than the 22/45 because it's not that hard to break down and put back together?

6. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot MINDSET

The MkII and 22/45 break down the same.

7. PorscheRacer

PorscheRacer You see this? It means not welcome

Rugers are easy as any other gun to take down. Here is a vid were it only takes 30sec to strip the gun

http://www.1bad69.com/ruger/FieldStripRuger.mpg

8. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot MINDSET

There are some tricks to getting them back together again. Once you learn you'll do fine. The first time without help is a BITCH.

I've solved the reassembly problems buy simply not cleaning mine.

9. Joe_Cool

Joe_Cool Never trust a woman or a government. Moderator

And I bet you've never had a problem with it, either. It's probably the best .22 pistol you can buy.

10. 01_Cruiser

01_Cruiser An American Classic OT Supporter

Ruger now makes a Mark III, i went and checked one out about 2 weeks ago, and i'll probably have one before the summer is over. They changed/improved a few things from the MKII, which wasnt much, but I like the MKIII frame better than the MKII.

11. huntz0r

huntz0r New Member

Cool video PorscheRacer.

Picked up my MK4 today! I couldn't resist. $240 plus tax brand spankin new :hsd: As it happened, I went in this place around lunchtime to look around and the guy got a price for me if I wanted to order one... came back later and it was there, heh. Seems they just happened to have one coming in and it got there today. Fate!

[​IMG]

They had some stainless ones but it didn't feel worth an extra 70 bucks... they also had a Government Target Competition like this for $375 used with a scope available... way outta my price range but classy. But I love how the short tapered barrel style looks, much more than the slab. Lugeresque. I might have to get a set of those uber hardwood grips off ebay though. :)

I'm hoping I can get myself to a range this weekend if not sooner, with a coworker who owns several real guns and can cluebat me as needed.

12. huntz0r

huntz0r New Member

Oh and the guy at the store did show me the trick with reassembly... holding it so that little thingabob flops over the right way as you close the mainspring lever. If that's what's so hard about breaking down one of these things then the reports are greatly exaggerated.

13. Scaramanga

Scaramanga Active Member

Buckmark > Ruger *.22LR

14. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

The manual that came with mine had pretty good breakdown and reassembly instructions. It's not that hard once you've done it a few times.

15. huntz0r

huntz0r New Member

Went to the range today and shot my first 50 rounds... I managed, I think about 8" grouping at 15 yards. That's not too bad for a first ever session right?

I also tried out my friend's CZ-52... speaking of flames :run: That thing is mean.

think I'll stick with the peashooter for now hehe

16. DRM600

DRM600 Guest

it's a great gun and i love mine. here she is:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2005
  17. Tornado6

Tornado6 When the wind set down in funnel form and pulled y

I know exactly what you mean. The big guns are all well and good, and I need to practice for hunting season, but there's nothing quite as gratifying and fun as plinking with a .22, and doing well at it.

I outshot my boyfriend the last time we went out. I was playing with the .22, and he was playing with the .45 :big grin:

[​IMG]
    (Five shots at seven yards, Ruger Mk II, pulled it low twice :rant: .)