Considering a mac book - convince me...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by YourMomOnRyeBun, Jun 25, 2008.

1. YourMomOnRyeBun

YourMomOnRyeBun New Member

I have read countless threads on here (and other places) about the mac book. I have owned several computers (desktop and laptop) and I think this time I will try a mac. I have read about the "pros" of owning a mac; no/few viruses, easier to use/setup, etc.

My primary concern is that I already have all the software that I use in PC format. MS Office, Dreamweaver, Photoshop, Illustrator. Is it difficult to find these programs in mac format? I am not talking about buying them from the store... :naughty:

I have done some searches in the places that I found PC programs in the past and I am having a hard time finding hits for mac versions.

Also, what type of incompatibilty issues will I have? Other people that work for my business will still be using PC's and we share files (MS Office) all the time. Will that be an issue?

Or should I just use boot camp or one of the other similar programs so that I can run my windows programs in that?

2. Relay

Relay New Member

- Finding programs for mac is just the same as for PC...in my experience it might take a little more searching, but the programs are out there.

- Sharing MS Office documents will not be a problem

- Incompatibility issues are not nearly as much as they used to be, I can't really recall running into any issues where I needed to hop back onto a PC, and like you said Bootcamp etc. are available if something is necessary.

- Buy the Mac, it won't take long to get used to and you will enjoy it

3. YourMomOnRyeBun

I just went to the Apple store at lunch. This is a completely different experience than buying a PC at XYZ superchain store (Best Buy, Circuit City, etc.).

I am still not convinced that it is worth it (to me) to spend double on the computer...but it sure does seem like it would be a lot easier to operate. And it seems you don't have to worry about drivers, viruses, etc like you do on a PC.

4. adelacruz

adelacruz New Member

i run windows on my second space all day. thats about all you need to know, install tinyxp and you can have both systems always running for when you run into a windows only situation. Plus you might save 1 or 200 on a truly comparable pc like the dell m1330 but the cost of ownership is higher. for programs use mac-bb.org and get a rapidshare premium account, or use what.cd for free. or brokenstones.cn

Last edited: Jun 25, 2008
  5. jackback52

jackback52 Guest

just do it!

6. quid

quid I Piss Excellence OT Supporter

i use a mac at home and windows at work, i have never ever run into a compatibility issue.

i do however have vmware and a stripped down copy of XP on my mac, this is mostly for ms office, because ms office for osx (even version 2008) is the biggest smelliest steamiest pile of fucking dinosaur shit ever to be released to the public as usable software. its not because of compatibility that i still open office docs in windows on my mac, its because the mac version of the software sucks so hard.

7. YourMomOnRyeBun

I noticed that today...the mac bundle doesn't even have MS Access. So...if I need to create a db, what the F am I supposed to do.

I guess mac doesn't have ALL the solutions, just most of them. :wiggle:

8. Pseudonym

Pseudonym --

why not use pages or open office?

9. quid

i tried open office and hated it, have not yet tried pages.

10. dbman96

dbman96 Active Member

I think this is microsoft's way of saying "we kindly suggest everyone that wants to do real work stops moving to mac and buy a Vista PC"

I suspect this may backfire on them.

11. quid

it might be that, because its faster for me to open vmware, start xp and open word/excel whatever, than it is to open word/excel 2008 in os x. its redickolulz.

12. Pseudonym

Pseudonym --

have you noticed a jump in performance between the mb and mbp? i have a mb and am going to update to either a Blackbook with 4 gigs of ram or a base mbp.

13. YourMomOnRyeBun

How do you get an account for what.cd?

14. adelacruz

adelacruz New Member

invites, ill invite you if you want one.

15. YourMomOnRyeBun

Thanks!

16. adelacruz

adelacruz New Member

17. Relay

Relay New Member

is there a big difference between whats available on what.cd vs. mac-bb.org ?

if so....invite ???

18. adelacruz

adelacruz New Member

its not that great i just use it when i cnat find something on mac-bb on the off chance that its there, mac-bb is better.

19. unorthadox

unorthadox New Member

20. Sirius

Sirius OT Supporter

not much to add. Been a windows user for years, got my macbook a little under a year ago. No regrets, it still runs like the day I got it. Very happy with it.

21. pirothezero

pirothezero New Member

If price is at all a factor in decided whether you jump in or not, I'd suggest checking out the refurbished products at the apple.com store. Literally it's like getting a out of the store computer in the shiny box for a few hundred dollars less.

I bought my mbp in Nov and when I got it I was shocked to see the condition it was in. Slapped 4GB in it and never looked back like others. Service at the apple store for in warranty stuff is great too. Esp. if you know your stuff and go in there and say "I've already tried A, B and C, I just need you to do D so I don't do it myself and void my warranty."

I find most of my stuff on mac-bb whenever I need to find anything. However trips to the usual sites do happen to see what else I can find.

VMWare's Fusion is probably the coolest, best running application I have used for virtualization ever and interfaces windows with the hardware perfectly so if Windows is a needed check into Fusion.

You'll see after buying one that you will discover what a computer in this era should be. I wanted to hook my mbp to my 42 inch plasma to watch some soprano mkvs. All I needed to do was plug a dvi to hdmi adapter to the mbp and plug the hdmi cable and it just worked. No fuss no hassel, got 1920x1080 resolution at 1080p with one click after it autodetected the display. It was such a relief and a privledge experiencing a plug and play moment like that.

And in the end you could always return it or resale it at the same price or 2-5% loss (less then the restocking fee of returning it to apple).

22. ROFLCORE

ROFLCORE Guest

getting apps on osx is easier than anything else...

you can just dl directly from the source and use serial box to unlock it. lol

23. hurleyint1386

hurleyint1386 Someone has sand in their vagina

Do you ned an Access db? If not, try out FileMaker

24. CaliforniaPlaya

CaliforniaPlaya New Member

I was going to suggest the same thing pirothezero did, consider a refurb. I just received my second Apple refurb computer (theres also been an iPod and an Airport) yesterday in the form of a 2.2 Blackbook. So far I'm loving it and I'm on it now. All the Apple refurbished products I've purchased have been in 'link-new' condition. They look and act like new with nothing to suggest they've been used or refurbished.

There really is no differnce between a refub and a new unit except the savings gained. I definitely would have no problem buying another refurb or recommending one to anyone else. Do a search for Apple refurbished and look what others have to say. Most are happy. There are occasions where something is DOA or having other problems, but such is true with new products, and not just Apple.

As far as Windows goes, I'm running BootCamp on both my Intel Macs (MacBook and Mini). I really have no need for Windows except for syncing and geeking out my PPC and doing homework. I do use Windows at work and it seems to run better on a Mac then on a PC - but that may just be me. :)

Good luck!!!