considering 96 Nissan Maxima GXE 78K $6400

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by 01000101, Nov 15, 2004.

1. 01000101

01000101 New Member

I found this car

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...d&advanced=n&start_year=1996&color=&cardist=8

at the dealer, then found it online doing research

96 nissan maxima gxe, 78k miles, haggled to $6400 from $8k something sticker, plenty of options

how good are 96 nissan maximas? safe? reliable? how do they wear? trouble spots? anything i should look for?

if anyone can run a carfax
    jn1ca21d8tt151259

totally new to buying cars :sadwavey:

help?

2. gdawg

gdawg New Member

I had 98 and it was the best car I have even had. Only went to the dealer once in 4 years and it was because of an airbag light. The car is nice, fast and smooth and definitley a good bang for the buck. Although I think you can find one even cheaper then that.

3. unrealii

unrealii professor of plant biology

I would go for a 98. That is the year they did the refreshments to it. I dont know if that is a good price or not. Check out www.maxima.org

4. thoughtshewas18

thoughtshewas18 OT Supporter

Maxima first off is a awesome car no joke... 2 of my friends have one and both with 80+k miles on them... I just recently bought a 99 with 54kmiles on it for 10k (awesome deal) and I couldnt be happier.. Ive noticed there are LOTS of 95-96's around mainly because they last and last lol... That seems like a pretty good deal but id still go for 97-99 models you can still find good deals...

5. J_75

J_75 New Member

142K on my '97 Maxima. No complaints, no problems.......very roomy (especialy for my fat ass), COMFORTABLY seats 5 people, huge trunk, reasonably good pickup, and it is great on the highway (i.e. easily 35+ mpg, quiet, smooth suspension and engine, etc)

It's no M3 or anything, but for the money I don't think you can find a better deal for a daily-driver, sedan.

6. iNteGraz92

iNteGraz92 trolling apple sackriders is just too damn easy

do it. all generations after that one look like crap.

7. strangerthanfiction

strangerthanfiction New Member

I have a 1997 with 175k miles. great car.

No problems other than new clutch,
    and for some reason my left front wheel bearing keeps getting wearing out. Ill be doing my 4th bearing replacement next week.

8. 01000101

01000101 New Member

i bought it. needs some work, but still less than bluebook. i love it.

now, what to do to it... suggestions? already suggested i get an air filter, a cold air intake, and a catback exhaust upgrade. and i want rear and bumper euro lights and the xenon headlights. what else?

oh, and as a note: tempe dodge are a bunch of fucks.

9. NiNe7-Gxe

NiNe7-Gxe New Member

i have a 97, i like the way this years bumper looks. if your planning to modify in the future i would get a 97 5spd that way you get the looks and can still use a 96 ecu since they're the only ones that can get the upgraded ecus. (for the 4th gen)

10. strangerthanfiction

strangerthanfiction New Member

guys its a maxima....

why would anyone want to sink money into modding one :dunno:

11. Jkuao

Jkuao New Member

The VQ30 is a surprisingly tough and reliable engine, not to mention extremely cheap to replace. I built 2 turbo Maximas and they're surprisingly easy to mod for power. A hell of a lot easier than my Prelude at least.

This is my brother's '97 GXE:
    [​IMG]

With the stock motor, stock automatic, over 100k on the odometer, and a turbo setup I built myself the car pulled 302hp to wheels and 314ft-lb torque with only 7psi of boost.

Took it to the track twice and made about 12 passes running between 13.8 and 14.1, all trapping 103-105mph w/ 2.3 - 2.5 sec 60' times. This was done on the Civic skinny and rock hard Falken 215/19's. The car was running too rich in the low end which also accounts for the horrid 1/8 mile of over 9 seconds.

I daily drove it over the summer while working on the stereo and it'd pull to 130 easily. I've been too busy to work on it lately but once we get a new alternator and CV joint on it we're going to install a MBC and push for 10psi.

I built a turbo for this car as well:
    [​IMG]
    5spd and a slightly smaller turbo but it put down 260whp at 5psi and a tiny crush bent exhaust. The guy sold it but it's been running reliably for well over a year now.

Think the fastest turbo Maximas have just broken into the 11's and I've seen peak dyno numbers of 530whp and over 600ft-lb torque.

They aren't the fastest out there but they definitely destroy most other mid-size family sedans both stock and heavily modded.