MMA consequence of training in a university bjj club

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by brolli, Dec 3, 2005.

1. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

I've realized that improving my game is getting much much more difficult now. I've been training for 2 years, 4 x a week. At first I was losing to EVERYbody, but the thing about a university club is that the people who come tend to not be that hardcore about it. My first year the only people who would come guaranteed every single class was the old instructor and myself. But he graduated and now we have an instructor come from out of school 2x a week. There are a lot of members in the club, but they all show up so spread out and randomly that I don't see them improving any time soon. As of now, the only member of the club that I can not beat over 90% of the time excluding the instructor is my biggest training partner (230 lbs, who has only 1 year of experience, but is a much better wrestler than me). When I roll with the othe rmembers I don't feel like I am learning anything because they aren't that good, and when I roll with the big dude I feel like I am doing everything right but he muscles out of a lot of subs. (he sometimes gets me in a wrestling headlock/scarfhold and just squeezes the air out of my lungs, and taps me after holding that for a whole minute :rolleyes:).

The thing that I do improve while rolling with him is being tricky from the bottom with sweeps and leg locks. But even that, only by a little bit.

What I've been doing lately is starting in a bad position with the other members and working from there in hopes of learning something...

Yeah anyways I am glad that at least I have people to train with, but am sort of dissapointed at the same time. Anybody else here in this position?

2. chechen

chechen Brazilian Jiu Jitsu OT Supporter

yes you should find a competitive school. im getting into that similar situation slowly but surely. We used to have a ton of killers at my school, it was VERY competitive for a while. But after a while they all left. Most of them moved, and a couple switched schools. So now it's hard to find good training partners my size. There are only a couple of guys I have really good hard sessions with.

My advice is download some instructionals, and pick and choose some techniques you havent used before and think you are able to perform. And drill those techniques.

Then when you spar, just try your best to look for those new techniques. Also, try to finish from positions that you never really finish from. Like, I have trouble finishing from the back, so I should try and look to get the back, and make sure I finish from there. Stuff like that can compensate a little bit for a lack of good training partners. I think it would be somewhat like what you're experiencing no matter where you go. People come and go all the time.

3. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

hm... I will try that (trying to finish from a certain position). Honestly this is the only place I can train at currently because I live on campus and have no car. When I graduate I am going to find a better place.

4. Swerve

Swerve OT Supporter

2 Years? Well if your're a Blue or Purple you will definitly need better people to train with. As far as staying there I would just let the noobs get good positions on you and then focus on 1 move at a time.

5. Placebo

Placebo New Member

He's white. He focuses on no gi.