consensus on wrist straps/wraps and gloves?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by maxgohan, Jan 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maxgohan

maxgohan OT Supporter

i guess straps can help on back days and wraps on just heavy lifting days....

what do you guys think of gloves and the wrist wraps/straps....

2. Drilldo

Drilldo Active Member

If you use straps you're not really lifting the weight and are a faggot. If you don't use straps you're a faggot for letting your grip limit your workout.

cliffs: you're a faggot

3. maxgohan

maxgohan OT Supporter

guess im getting a wrist wrap....

4. knight42

knight42 OT Supporter

wrist wraps are fine if you need them... depending on which lifts you feel like you need them your problem could be solved by improving flexability.

gloves- unless your a women and want soft hands... when i work out with friends that are girls I still give them shit if they want to use gloves

straps- you probably dont need if you are asking about it... work on your grip and dont use these as a crutch. Off the top of my head only lifts you might need them for are your last sets of heavy DB rows or shrugs. but most commercial gyms DBs dont go past 125 from my experience and you should have no problem holding onto those for a while. If not it isnt very hard to get strong enough for that.

5. Grimey

Grimey New Member

I use gloves all the time. Don't really give a shit about the stigma associated with them, it helps and I like using them.

6. Matt2000ss

Matt2000ss OT Supporter

i dont give a shit about stigma. Stigma of something only bothers faggots.

That being said. I used to use gloves and straps for years. on deads, shrugs, and rows.

About 6 months ago i started using chalk and stopped using straps by default.
    My grip strength has greatly increased in that short period of time and all my lifts feel more solid(not sure if thats the right word). but lifting 465 with just your chalked hands feels different than lifting it with straps where it is basically hanging from your wrist.

I still used straps, but only when absolutely needed, when i know i have a couple of more reps in me, but not the grip for it.

Oh, and i do use wrist wraps. My left wrist is all goofy from when i was attacked by a pitbull a few years ago

Last edited: Jan 28, 2010
  7. JeremyD

JeremyD New Member

Gloves: For faggots and old ladys

Straps: Are fine one heavy back movements

Wraps: Are useless you pussy (unless you're pushing serious weight, which you're not, or have wrist issues you need to work around)

8. forum95

forum95 Come see bout us OT Supporter

I use straps for shrugs n' shit

wraps for barbell over head shit

9. BoypussY

BoypussY game over.

gloves are gay.

i use straps only on heavy DB rows, deadlifts and shrugs. Wrist wraps when im benching heavy cause my forearms hurt like a mother fucker for days if i dont use them

10. reminisce

reminisce OT Supporter

i never used straps because i considered it kind of cheating. i got over that mentality and started using them though and saw all my pulling lifts going up. i do wrist/grip work as well to compensate.

for me, when i'm doing back movements i want to 100% focus on pulling, the squeeze, and pausing on some exercises so i'm cool with eliminating any grip issues.

people will hate, it's whatever.

11. reminisce

reminisce OT Supporter

and i use wrist wraps on some exercises because i get a bad pain in my right forearm.

12. RollinDollos

RollinDollos Guest

I wouldn't recommend straps for a PL or athletic program but if bodybuilding is your main goal then by all means use straps taking the load off of your grip to better develop your back.

As for gloves its really preference, they don't really help with grip and desensitize the feel for the bar but its just more comfortable to lift for some guys.

13. Arya Stark

Arya Stark Resident Celebrity OT Supporter

just don't be like the pisa at my grym wearing garden gloves :ugh:

14. BlackIce72

BlackIce72 New Member

Cressey on elbow & wrist tips-- I'll just post #1 for all the wrist wrap haters

link
    "
    So, without further ado, here are thirteen tips to keep your elbows and wrists healthy.Tip #1: Get yourself some wrist wraps!

Not to be confused with wrist straps, which help you hold onto the bar, wrist wraps have made a huge difference in keeping my elbows and wrists healthy.I think we really overlook the importance of a wide base of support in increasing stability of our joints. We know that bracing the midsection is superior to the "thin tummy" recommendations for creating spinal stability when we put a weight on our back, so why not apply the same principles to our wrists when we bench? Unfortunately, we can't exactly brace the wrist via a built-in physiological mechanism as we do with the spine. However, we've got to do something because the wrist is a joint that's extremely vulnerable to injury given its small circumference. Compare your ankle and wrist circumferences and you'll always find that the ankle is greater. (My wrist measures up at a whopping six inches.)

Would you expect this wrist to hold up very long with over 400 pounds placed on it? The ankle is built for stability and needs more mobility training. Conversely, the wrist is built for mobility,but it lacks stability — stability that can be artificially created with a wrist wrap. I'm not saying that you have to use them all the time, but they're certainly a useful inclusion in your training bag for your heaviest sets and the highest volume weeks. Jim Wendler recently put together a fantastic piece on how to wrap a wrist. Check out Casting Your Wrists and then pick up a pair of wrist wraps
    "

15. BoypussY

BoypussY game over.

:rofl::rofl: straps isnt cheating...that's just what ignorant wannabe tough guys say. Youre cutting yourself short by not using them cause you wont be able to do as much weight and reps. I'm more concerned with working my back/traps than my grip. ALL pro bodybuilders have used straps at one point

16. BrownWalrus

BrownWalrus New Member

dot

sometimes i use them sometimes i don't. i used to care about shit like this till i realized i really dont give a shit about that

still, i usually dont use anything

17. knight42

knight42 OT Supporter

ya well when you start pulling over 585 for reps maybe its different. If you cant hold onto 315 you fail.

18. Daria

Daria New Member

Well I don't lift as heavy as you guys, but in the interest of comfort I like to wear wrist cuffs to catch the sweat if it starts running down my arms, so it doesn't get to my hands. Sometimes the gym ac just doesn't cut it in the summer.

19. forum95

:mamoru:

20. forum95

u trollin

21. synthetic

synthetic New Member

gloves decrease grip as opposed to what you may think, thus you are not lifting as much as you can.

straps are ok, especially do do shrugs with weight way beyond your deadlift, in the end this helps your deadlift strapped or unstrapped. (At that because straps force you to start at the bottom longer, they are probably just as difficult as strapless deads, as with no straps you can stand longer)..... so about a 4 week transition session can get you out of straps and deadlifting the same weight chalked)

22. GTLifter

GTLifter Banned

god you're a faggot...every broad I've fucked in the past 4 years loved my rough solid hands...if they want soft hands they'll go scissor their roommate...

23. Foty

Foty Active Member

:rofl:

24. devman

devman New Member

and lol at stepping up to 50 lb dbs

25. Bacchus

Bacchus Skinny Guy

I've dated many girls who have commented on my soft hands. Chicks dont like being fingerbanged by rough hands

That being said, i've only stopped using gloves 2 weeks ago. My hands are getting callused and blistered - but at least i'm not a faggot anymore.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.