Connectivity Problems...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Westside, Apr 15, 2003.

1. Westside

Westside New Member

Laptop running XP w/ built in NIC. Belkin router with RoadRunner broadband. Problem...I try to connect the laptop behind the router, no dice, even after installing the router software as well as RoadRunner software, I still get a "network cable unplugged" and RR software says my network connection is DHCP configured but not allowing me to send out my IP. I assume this is caused by the router. I have hooked up the laptop directly behind the cable modem, bypassing the router, and it works fine. Any ideas? :(

2. MP

MP New Member

checked the ethernet cable you're using?

3. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

make sure you're not using a crossover cable or that you're plugged into a regular port rather than the WAN port on your router

4. Westside

Westside New Member

I've tried using 3 different cat5 cables, all wired the same, that have worked on the other computers we use on the router. I guess it's just a driver problem :( It's an IBM thinkpad a20m fyi. :(

5. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

do you get a link light on the router when you plug into it? Make sure it's your LAN connection that shows "unplugged" because some laptops have other ports which are classified as "network connections" also and might show up as disconnected

6. Leb_CRX

Leb_CRX OT's resident terrorist

I work for RR tech support..it is all DHCP, your router's messed...try to get another one and test it...

|eb_CRX

7. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

try removing the RR software from the laptop and allowing it to simply gets it IP info from the router like it was intended to. There is probably some conflicts going on between the router software and the RR software.

8. Leb_CRX

Leb_CRX OT's resident terrorist

the RR software does fuck all

trust me

|eb_CRX

9. Westside

Westside New Member

Ok, well quick update. The laptop works flawlessly directly behind the cable modem when using RoadRunner, without the software. When directly behind the cable modem while using AOL Broadband, jack shit would work. I have yet to try it again behind my router, but will let you know what happens. BTW...laying in bed while browsing OT is greater than ALL!!!!!

10. Westside

Westside New Member

Another update, sorry for the bump.

Laptop still won't connect behind router. I deleted the RR software that i could find...maybe not all of it. When I plug the rj45 into the laptop, the network cable disconnected icon won't disappear...so I'm not sure if it's hardware related or software... :(