Connectivity problems

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by kYd, Jan 18, 2006.

1. kYd

kYd New Member

My bros. comp has got a problem where Windows keeps saying it has limited or no connectivity, and it just won't get on the internet.
    I've had this prob, and so have my friends, loads of times before which I've always manged to fix but this time I can't.
    Ive tried usng a third program to repair the WinSock and TCP, and downloaded the Windows update patch and a spyware scan but still nothing.
    I've just tried setting up a static internal IP address (192.168.0.4) and this got rid of the limtied or no con. error, but when I try visting a webpage (both IE and FF) nothing comes up at all.

Any help please? thanks

2. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Do you have XP SP 2? I worked on a machine with the same problem and after a couple days of trying everything including the WinSock fix, I uninstalled SP2, and re-installed it. Problem went away...

3. kYd

kYd New Member

Yeah it is SP2, but thing is he's been using SP2 for a year with no problems. This only started happening 2 weeks ago

4. skelm

skelm New Member

If you have set up a static ip then you MAY need to also set up a default gateway as well. Try setting this to 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1.

If setting a static IP got rid of the message then maybe setting back to "Obtain an IP Address automatically" and requesting a new IP address from the DHCP server would work? To do this open command prompt and type ipconfig /release and then ipconfig /renew. You should then have been elected a new IP address from the router.

If non of this works then call up your ISP and ask them the address for their DNS server and set this up manually in the TCP/IP properties window.

Thanks mate, have a good one.

5. kYd

kYd New Member

I've already tried both of them but with no luck :wtc:. My laptop is running fine on the network and so is the main computer directly connected to the router by ethernet, it's just his.
    Also, When I try accessing the router config page through his comp (192.168.0.10 - I changed it to that) it won't connect to it, which it should even if the internet isn't working.
    I've tried pratically everthing I don't know what else could be done?

Thanks

6. skelm

skelm New Member

Try switching cables with your computer, see if it's a dead cable.

If your computer is still on the network then try changing what port he is going to on the router...

Let me know :big grin:

7. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

If you can't connect to the router, it's a network problem, not a Internet problem.

If you are setting up a static IP, the default gateway should be the IP of the router.

And about SP2, the machine I worked on had it installed for a while too before it started having the connectivity problems.

I would uninstall SP2 and reinstall just to rule that out.

8. kYd

kYd New Member

We're all wireless, can't stand wires. How do you mean change the port going to on the router? Only port 80 is used as it is a web based interface config page.
    The default gateway is set to the IP of the router. I really don't want to install SP2 over again as well it won't. It keeps complaining that the version of Windows is not legit (which is PITA as the comp. was brought 2ndhand so I can't demand a real version off the guy).

Cheers skelm and cmsurfer, any more help you could give would be great. :hsd:

9. Sabrewulf

Sabrewulf New Member

since your all wireless, have you tried reinstalling the wireless application and drivers on his pc?

oh yea and is it pulling an up address from the router?

10. skelm

skelm New Member

Ok then, A few other things....

- If you run a program like netstumbler can he see any networks nearby? If so, what is the signal strength.

- Do you have a wep key on your wireless network that he may need to enter (it may have been saved before and you have forgotten about it)

- Have you tried putting your network card into his machine to see if he has a faulty card?

Ok mate. Once again, let me know :)