Connectivity issues.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by BigPaul, Apr 10, 2007.

1. BigPaul

BigPaul New Member

I am having a strange issue with one of my networks….

The internet comes into the building then hits a cisco firewall. After that there are 6 switches and 2 patch panels. The last 2 mornings everyone but about 4 or 5 people had no internet connection. The tech I have in that location was late coming in this morning so one of the users called me directly.

Doing a bit of troubleshooting I noticed that her IP address was not correct. She was pulling a 192.168.1.x address when she should have had a 192.168.30.x address. A release/renew from the command line did nothing. I had her release, flush the dns, register the dns, renew the IP. After all of that she was back online.

My tech is telling me that they are not all getting a .1.x address but that most of them still have 30.x addresses. He also says that after doing all of the steps above he has to reboot the machines. There are 2 linksys wireless routers on the network, I am not sure where they are located on the network and/or if they would be causing the problem but I have asked him to unplug those tonight so that we can rule them out.
    Anyone on here have any ideas as to what might be going on? :x:

Thanks,

2. retorq

retorq What up bitch??

Our PW (Public Works) tech installed a wireless box out at her building and didn't turn off DHCP. Had a similar issue to what you described. DHCP requests for this part of the network come from our Novell cluster here in this building, PW is 10 miles away, what we guess was happening was the PC sent out a DHCP request on bootup and that one replied to it first . . .

3. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

yea, basically two DHCP servers on the same subnet, whichever responds first is the one that assigns the IP.

4. BigPaul

BigPaul New Member

I figured this was the case. my tech keeps telling me that its not... guess with both boxes offline tonight, if there are no problems in the morning I can prove to him that is the issue.

thanks guys! :bowdown: