Connection issues/ router/ 360...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by StuDLei, Oct 19, 2008.

1. StuDLei

StuDLei Death before Dishonor

Okay I have a Belkin wireless G router that I bought at wal mart(i know) about 2 years ago. Just hooked it up a couple weeks ago. I have an xbox 360 wired to the router and then a laptop that connects wirelessly. I'm not for sure on this but Im pretty damn sure that my xbox 360 connection is slower when hardwired to the router than when it is just wired to the modem itself. Even if I turn the wireless button on my computer off and play 360 online its slower than if I were to just have my 360 wired directly to the modem. Is this because I have a shitty router or wtf? I could understand if I was on the internet with the laptop at the same time as gaming but even when Im not its not as fast.

The way Im judging this is by playing COD 4 BTW. All the green bars are maxed out when connected to the modem and I only get 2-4 when going through the router. Any answers? Thanks.

2. StuDLei

can somebody help me out here or what? damn ;)

3. Neuman

Neuman New Member

do you have any sort of password on your wireless?

4. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

have you updated to the latest firmware? i know some routers had/have issues with gaming, so maybe there is an issue with your particular firmware revision since it is 2 years old.

5. Sexual Vanilla

Sexual Vanilla New Member

Remember that your Xbox Live experience is not only dependent on your speeds, but also the connection speeds of those you're playing with...particularly the host of the game you're currently in.

6. StuDLei

Yeah I understand this but when I'm only getting a couple bars vs. most everyone else getting 4-5 it doesnt seem right.

I guess maybe what I should ask can a router choke the connection between my modem and the xbox even if there is nothing else connected to it?

And even though I turn off the wireless button on my computer the router itself is "connected" or still has essentialy two things going at once (xbox and then the other channel thats set up for my computer even though its turned off)

thanks

7. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

yes, it can.

8. StuDLei

Okay I realize my prior post was fucking dumb... Ill blame it on beer or something...

So what do you guys suggest would be a good solution? Any good routers out there someone can steer me towards?