Connection between 2 PC's

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Gen5_EG, Sep 24, 2005.

1. Gen5_EG

Gen5_EG :)

How can I connect my desktop and laptop via my 10/100 ethernet card so that I can share files between them? This would be just peer to peer and not going over the internet or anything. What do I need to do to accomplish this? It's not as simple as just hooking my CAT-5 to one end to the other, right? Do I need a hub for this or anything?

2. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

you can use either a router or a crossover cable. Any computer store should be able to make you a crossover cable.

3. keleko

keleko yes, he is

fixed

you won't find anyone to make one, but you can find plenty to sell one pre-made

4. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

well that is wierd because I watched them crimp my crossover cable. Any shop that sells and crimps Cat5 cable can make a crossover cable.

5. tony

tony Guest

If you're lucky, either of your machines might have a auto-MDI/MDX type port. I can connect my laptop and desktop with a standard Cat-5 cable.

6. Gen5_EG

Gen5_EG :)

it keeps asking me for a password to the other computer and vice versa.....i have no clue how to disable this.

7. Tom93R1

Tom93R1 Member

Your problem with passwords depends on the OS, if any of the computers is running NT, 2000, or XP Pro then both computers will need a user account with the same name. For instance, my home desktop runs XP Pro and for my Win98se laptop to navigate the directories I had to create a user for the desktop and a user for the laptop with the same name. For simplicity I just named the accounts "laptop".