Connecting with two routers simultaneously

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by adelacruz, Sep 30, 2006.

1. adelacruz

adelacruz New Member

Is this possible? Basically my dilemma is this, I have an xbox in my room which I FTP into all the time, that router has no internet connection, its just between my PC and my xbox, my internet connection is wireless through another router in the family room, is there a way to connect to the internet through the wireless router, but still be able to access the xbox while im connected to both routers? If I activate both connections my wireless connection will still be active but wont connec to the internet.

Id actually be more interested in making my computer an accessway for that router to connect to the internet, that way my xbox could go on the internet too, Im pretty sure this is possible I just dont know what its called or what to search for.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2006
  2. k2737

k2737 Active Member

If I am reading this correctly...you can run a crossover cable between your PC and Xbox then set up a bridge on your computer from the wireless to wired to share the internet. Get rid of the router between your PC and XBOX. Or just use the router as a switch (assuming it has switch ports, and disable DHCP and anything else), and assign your xbox with an IP on the same subnet as the PC. You will have to set up the bridge as described above too. I am guessing when you enable your eth adapter it gets an address from the router between the xbox and PC and messes with your routing table which wont allow you to get to the internet. Hope this made sense.

3. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

In other words, on the non-internet router, don't use the WAN port, disable to DHCP server on that router, connect the two routers together on the LAN side.

4. adelacruz

adelacruz New Member

I guess Ill need a crossover cable since I cant connect router to router, theyre in seperate rooms. I thought it was possible to set it up without buying other stuff.

5. RaginBajin

RaginBajin Have you punched a donkey today?

If they are both wireless routers, then connect your wireless routers via WDS. Then just plug your XBOX into the router that is closet to it. Then you'll be able to use the intarweb and the xbox all at the same time.

My townhouse is so big and has a ton of concrete in it, so that one router doesn't work for my house. So I have 2 wireless routers that are connected via WDS. Then the rest of my roommates plug their computers, xboxes,etc into their wireless router, and I have mine with all my stuff plugged into it. It works pretty well.

6. adelacruz

adelacruz New Member

that sounds like a good idea, only if i could find how to set my dlink di-614 to function as an AP, I found a way to get both connections to run simultaneously and still use the intarwebz but now im trying to find a way to get my xbox to go online as well.