Connecting two desktops.....

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Frank N. Beans, Mar 9, 2010.

1. Frank N. Beans

Frank N. Beans I hate BMW's OT Supporter

This might be simple.....I am quick to admit I am computer stupid though.

I have two desktops now, one which will handle internet browsing and email.....the other is setup with Photoshop, Lightroom, and video editing. I also have 3 external HD's hooked up to the editing desktop.

My question is this.....how can I connect the two computers, for instance, so I can "drag" a picture folder from one to the other (with the smaller, edited pics).....so I can upload them to my server? Is it as simple as a USB connection? I know that isn't going to be the fastest.....but is that possible?

TIA from a computer dummy

2. CodeX

CodeX Guest

Normal way is to set up a home network, map the drives on the other computer.

3. 7960

7960 New Member

you can get a cross over cable and connect them directly and map drives, but it's not the most efficient way

<home network, router/hub/switch>

4. Frank N. Beans

I have no clue what either of you speak of. Its kind of sad that I don't, I am sure. :rofl:

Shouldn't be hard to figure out though, I assume. I'm not looking to break any records here.......both of these computers are old as dirt. I just want to be able to transfer things from one to the other. What components do I need? That will help me better understand.

5. cbanta

cbanta New Member

Option 1, crossover cable and an additional Network card for internet pc

Option 2, USB, usb crossover cable (I haven't done this before)

Option 3, regular network cable and a switch/hub/ or a router.

there are probably other methods, but these are going to be your most common 3. option 3 imo will be easiest with option 1 as a close second.

6. CodeX

CodeX Guest

Both computers need to have a NIC, or network interface card. These are pretty cheap. You can go wired or wireless, but if you get wireless cards and intend to use them wirelessly (the also have normal ports for wired connections) you will have to get a wireless router.

Anyway, you buy a router, wireless if you want, and connect the output of your cable modem to the input on the router. Then, if you are using wired connections, you use the output ports on the router (usually there are 4) to connect to the NIC's in each of the two computers. The cables are called ethernet cables, and you can get them just about anywhere, wallmart for example, buy two of them of the necessary length when you buy the router (again, unless you are going to use wireless, in which case you were done after the first sentence of this paragraph).

After that, you need to setup windows networking, which really isn't too difficult after you get the hang of it, but you will probably need help the first time, get back to us then.

7. Frank N. Beans

Ok......well they are both internet ready. I have a router with enough ports, so both computers are hooked up to the router. Can I transfer data like this? Also, can I block the editing PC from connecting to the net......but remain connected via the modem?

8. ldaggerl

ldaggerl New Member

So first thing you need to do is share out a folder on both the computers. This is something you may know how to do if not look it up as its rather easy. Now what you need to do is find out the name of both computers. Your looking for the full computer name. Locate your "my computer" or "computer" (if vista) and right click on it, then select properties. From here you'll find a tab called computer name or (if vista) you'll see "full computer name" on the window that opens up. It could look something like mike.test.local or something along those lines (I doubt it as its usually only a domain that does this) but the key part you want is "mike". Now go to start and select run and type in (without the " ") "\\computername\". This should now open up a window with the files that are shared on that computer. If you get any errors write up on here and we may have to adjust permissions.