Connecting to Wireless Networks

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by tamiyaDrifter, Aug 7, 2006.

1. tamiyaDrifter

tamiyaDrifter Lurker

Hey, I just got a laptop and I'm trying to connect to the wireless network at the cafe next door (lol), but I have no idea how to do it. It says there are no wireless networks within range but I know there's one next door. I went to the help section, and it says under "Related Tasks" there should be an option to "Find wireless network" but when I look it doesn't have that option. Do I have to set up the wireless on it beforehand or something?

EDIT: When I was setting up XP it asked for something about Static and Dynamic IP addesses or something, and I had no idea so I skipped it. Do I have to go back and do that? (the only type of internet I specified for the laptop was LAN/Wireless)

2. 7960

7960 New Member

The fact that you're asking this question means you are never going to get this to work. Seriously, I'm not trying to be mean, but the network next door is probably secured so you're probably going to have to *try* to hack in, and the question about static/dynamic/no idea so I skipped it means this is not going to happen.

........but to answer your second question, you want dynamic IP address.

3. tamiyaDrifter

tamiyaDrifter Lurker

How do I change that(to dynamic IP)? And no the network isn't secured. People that work here that need the Internet use the wireless there all the time.

4. 7960

7960 New Member

start--> control panel--> network connections--> (choose your wireless connection)--> properties button--> scroll all the way down to Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)--> properties button--> select radio button for "obtain IP address automatically"

better option, bring it next door and buy someone a cup of coffee for configuring it for you.

good luck

5. tamiyaDrifter

tamiyaDrifter Lurker

Hmm ok that didn't make a difference, Ill try it again when I go to uni this afternoon (different network)

EDIT: It was set that way already.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2006
  6. 7960

7960 New Member

are you sure the signal reaches your location...where you're sitting now? Get closer and see if it finds the network.

7. YodaHart

YodaHart New Member

The network is probably out of range. You're just too far away. XP should default to Dynamic IP and if you use the wireless search it should display all secure and unsecure networks. Have you been able to connect to ANY network (i.e. one in your house)?

8. Schproda

Schproda New Member

If it doesn't show up I kinda doubt you'll be connecting to it, capiche?

9. tamiyaDrifter

tamiyaDrifter Lurker

I haven't set up wireless at home yet.

10. Schproda

Schproda New Member

Different routers use different IP schemes. Some people change their routers to use some non-standard IP. Then some people are smart enough to require a key to access their router. If Linksys uses a 1.1 gateway, it's open with no key and using the default setup you could connect. But there's no guarantee you will at all.

11. 7960

7960 New Member

don't come back until

1. you've gotten closer to the access point and tried again
    2. you've had someone else who has successfully configured one of these take a look at it

we're giving you things to try and you're ignoring them or don't know what we're talking about.... you said
    GET ONE OF THEM TO DO IT.