Connecting to remote computers

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Mugwump, Dec 27, 2005.

1. Mugwump

Mugwump Guest

My story: I have severe bandwidth limitations on my apartment computer (if I leave a download on for too long, the ISP shuts down my connection and I have to call them to unlock it) and wanna log into my parent's computer to set up torrent downloading. I visit them every two weeks and could transfer all the stuff I download then.

I'm a noob when it comes to connecting and logging into another computer, and I have a few questions...

- In order to use Remote Desktop, I need Windows XP Pro, correct? I only have Home on this computer and I don't wanna (pirate) Pro because that'll exclude me from updating my security. I do have Pro on my parent's computer though.
    - What other options do I have? Is there other software out there that'll do remote connections for me? If so, what? Is there a nice step-by-step guide out there for setting it up?

Please and thank you.

2. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Only the host computer (your parents) needs Pro. Home has the remote desktop client built in under Programs, Accessories, Communications. Assuming they're behind a router, you'll need to forward port 3389 to their computer. Give it a static IP address behind their router. (192.168.0.x) You'll also need some way of finding their computer. Unless they have a static IP address, your best bet is a dymanic DNS service like dyndns.org. So you'd point your remote desktop to parentspc1.dyndns.org and it'll find it even if thier IP address changes daily.

3. Mugwump

Mugwump Guest

Do you know where I could find a detailed step by step to setting up static IPs and stuff?

4. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

www.logmein.com

This is free and simpler and safer than exposing 3389 to the internet (where anyone can pound on it all day trying different logins).

5. RedZ71

RedZ71 Large Marge sent me.

on the firewall, when you expose port 3389, there is generally a place to list a "source" ip address. if you put in the ip (or ip network address) youll be connecting from, then only that ip (or one on that network) may connect, and there is little to no risk of being pounded from the internet all day long.

6. RedZ71

RedZ71 Large Marge sent me.

and btw, dont forget, you will not be able to use remote desktop on the opposite computer, with an account that has no password. so dont fortget to set a password.

and do yourself a favor, make it a passphrase instead of password (2 or more words with spaces between as normal). dont be afraid to do it, its just as easy to remember as a single word (often easier).

7. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

That's great, if he has a static IP from his ISP. I'm willing to bet he doesn't.

8. Mugwump

Mugwump Guest

I'm definitely gonna check this out, thanks.

I suck at admining computers, setting up logins and network connections, so the simpler the better.

9. Mugwump

Mugwump Guest