Connecting Routers

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by gene wilder, Dec 10, 2005.

1. gene wilder

gene wilder you cant run

okay, so i had a hardlinerouter for a long time(router a), until my my mom wanted wireless for her laptop, so we got a new router (router b), it is teh gay, it disconnects randomly only for 1 sec then reconnects, this gets really annoying because it can happen from 1 time in an hour to 1 time every 15 seconds. i was wondering if there was any way to connect the two routers together so that the computers on hardline connect to router a, and we have router b for wireless, with internet (Adelphia) going to both routers

i dont even know if this is possible, but it seems like it might be

help please :sadwavey:(oh and i will try to explain differently if that doesnt make sense)

2. bptillman

bptillman New Member

use your router a and get an access point to plug into it for your mom to get her wireless

thats if i understand you correctly

3. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Yeah its pretty easy to turn a wireless router into an access point. The trick is to connect its LAN (not WAN) port to your main router's LAN side. So say router A has a LAN IP address of 192.168.0.1 and its DHCP server gives DHCP clients addresses between 192.168.0.100 and 192.168.0.150. Log in to router B with one PC and change its LAN IP to 192.168.0.2 and disable its DHCP server. Now connect router B's LAN port to router A's LAN port. Do not connect router B's WAN port to anything. Router B will now bridge traffic between its wired and wireless segments with the wired segment leading to router A. Any wireless clients will get their IP address from router A's DHCP server.

4. Deevan

Deevan Active Member

Look two posts down. You should also change the SSID and channel, if you're getting random dropouts.

5. gene wilder

gene wilder you cant run

thank you guys, i dont have time to try tonight, but i am going to try tomarrow :)

6. DSMTuning

DSMTuning New Member

just put all the computers back on router"A" and plug router"B"'s uplink into one of the regular slots on router"A"

7. Gimik

Gimik New Member

This will require a crossover cable I think.

Also, make sure you load the latest firmware on router B. That usually fixes a lot of problems.

8. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Most routers and switches today either have an uplink port or autosensing ports. Needing a crossover cable is pretty rare today.

9. Gimik

Gimik New Member

Doh. Sorry. I'm old.

10. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

That's the setup I have in my house. I connected a cable from the uplink port on one router to another. I don't remember if it was a crossover or not though...

11. couchlock

couchlock OT Supporter

sprints DSL modems still use a crossover cable :o

12. Aimless

Aimless Resident drunkey

This man is correct. Ignore the rest of the posts later in the thread about connecting to router B's uplink port. IT WILL NOT WORK.