Connecting one router to another – networking question

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Ebtromba, Aug 8, 2007.

1. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

So I just moved into a new place with my roommates. We have pretty awesome DSL via a 2Wire :)greddy: ) modem/ethernet router/wireless access point combo unit. I have a room on the 2nd floor. The wireless from the 2Wire actually works pretty well, but I bought a 25 meter cat5e patch cable and ran it through the walls up to my room so I can play some games over wired ethernet, or when I need to download something really quick. It works great.

However, I occasionally have more than one computer up in my room that I want to have wired ethernet. I have a Linksys WRT54G, so naturally I plugged the huge 30 meter cable from 2Wire router into the internet port of the WRT54G (I have disabled the wireless radio so it doesn’t interfere with others using the 2wires wireless), and then plugged my computers up in my room into the ethernet ports of the WRT54G with (much smaller) patch cables.

It looked great on paper to me, but it does not work. I have googled this, and one site says that it doesn’t matter if I use a patch cable or crossover cable connecting the two routers, and one site said I would need a crossover cable.

Also I’m sure I’ll have to change a setting or two on one or both of the routers and I don’t know where to begin. Help?

Last edited: Aug 8, 2007
  2. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Don't use the internet port on the WRT54G and turn off DHCP on it as well.

Your router is now a switch.

3. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

ok cool. thanks alot...so I just plug my long cable into one of the ethernet ports on the WRT54G?? trying it right now...

4. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

holy balls it worked.

thanks man. :wavey:

5. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

i did they same thing a little while back and OT helped out in a flash