Connecting Macbook to WRT54G linksys router.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by PC Principle, Jan 22, 2008.

1. PC Principle

PC Principle New Member

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (Motorola Q: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 4.01; Windows CE; Smartphone; 176x220))

I am trying to connect two cmputers to a linksys router. I set up the router with a WEP password and the PC connects fine but the Macbook will not. I go throuh airport, click other connection on the drop down menu, then at the next window it asks for the name of the router and when I select it the WEP password tab comes up and asks for the code. When I try either the actual password or one of the four keys generated and click conect it tries to connect for a few seconds then an error scren comes up saying "there was a error connecting blah". I already tried switching the frequency channel from 6 to 1 but it still wont work. I know jack shit about macbooks and am compltely out of ideas. Please help me if you can. :o

2. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

What do you mean one of the four keys? The WEP key should be a bunch of numbers and letters. I think 26 characters if you are using WEP.

Turn off WEP and see if you can connect to test.

3. PC Principle

PC Principle New Member

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (Motorola Q: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 4.01; Windows CE; Smartphone; 176x220))

on this router you type in a password and hit generate and four hex/dec keys show up under it. :dunno:

4. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Yes, and they all make up the WEP key. Are you typing in the full key?

5. PC Principle

PC Principle New Member

What do you mean "the full key"?

What I have been doing is using one of the four keys as the password.

6. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

All 4 keys = The WEP key ;)

Just type them all in without any spaces.

7. PC Principle

PC Principle New Member

Well we completely resetted the router and gave it a new wireless name and 128bit wep password and the fucking pos macbook still cant connect to it. I guess ill try to update the router and change the frequency channel from 6 to 1 and see what happens. I am having to talk someone thru this over the phone. :mad:

8. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

So the encrypted wireless is working on the Windows machine? Are you sure you are putting in the same key on the MAC?

9. PC Principle

PC Principle New Member

yes to both.

10. iridium130

iridium130 OT Supporter

in OSX you can choose what kind of secure network you're joining, make sure you're choosing the right one.

11. PC Principle

PC Principle New Member

OK we unsecured the wireless and the Macbook can connect now. I'm thinking the router may need a firmware update or something.