Connecting IDE HD and IDE Dvd Burner

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Bombersun, Jan 22, 2008.

1. Bombersun

Bombersun Member

I read that you are not suppose to connect a hard drive and a dvd drive to the same ide header, is this true and why? I have a ide hard drive and a ide dvd burner and only one ide header, what should i do? thanks

2. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

well, i don't think that IDE handles concurrent connections all that well. so, you can get better performance if you can get 2 separate IDE controllers handling the data, one reading from the hard drive and the other writing to the DVD.

here is a quote from a site comparing IDE to SCSI to get a better idea why. http://www.pcmech.com/article/ide-vs-scsi/

3. Bombersun

Bombersun Member

thanks. i just told that could get a ide to sata adapater.

4. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

You can put them on one header - I've done it for years. Hit on performance? Sure - a little bit. But not enough that I'd be spending more money to ensure they're separated.

5. Bombersun

Bombersun Member

So you havent had any problems? I just keep on reading and talking to people that it is a big NoNo and could serious damage the computer.

6. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

You can't damage your computer. The only hit you'll ever see is when you're trying to burn a DVD from the HD on the same link, or read data from the DVD to the HD on the same link.

This is more of a theoretical nono, than in practice nono. If you want to know why you can't burn at the fastest speed of your DVD burner - this would be why.