Connecting Alienware M17x to Samsung TV

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by HSTexan, Feb 9, 2010.

1. HSTexan

HSTexan Active Member

Not sure if this is the right section for this, if not could a mod please move it?

My roommate's nice Dell laptop died awhile back and they replaced it with this Alienware computer. We have a lot of movies and such saved on the computer and want to be able hook it up to the TV. We have tried VGA and HDMI and neither work. Once we connect them we get a flashing red light on the TV. The TV in question is a Samsung LN40B530. We have tried many things, talked to Alienware tech support which said it wouldn't work on either. Any suggestions on how to get i to display on the TV?

2. SeeVinceRun

SeeVinceRun Currently In Prison OT Supporter

I am assuming you have enabled external display on the laptop? Also, you may be trying to output in a higher resolution that the samsung is able to display, thus you get jack shit on the TV.

3. HSTexan

HSTexan Active Member

Yes we did enable external display and we tried to output at a lower resolution...this is just confusing

4. SeeVinceRun

SeeVinceRun Currently In Prison OT Supporter

I think those laptops use SLI, if so, you may need to disable that first before you are able to output to an external display. The info ive found on that laptop is very hit and miss, many people have many different video setups.