Connecting a PC to a projector

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Willey2cool, Feb 25, 2009.

1. Willey2cool

Willey2cool New Member

my parents just bought this cabin on the other side of the state that has a media room with a projector in it. The projector has VGA, composite, RCA connections on the back but only the RCA and composite is routed through the walls to where all the video equipment is located. I know they make VGA-Composite splitters but they said they tried it and it wouldnt pick up anything from the computer.

I thought maybe that the resolution the computer outputs is too much for composite cables to handle. Is there anything they can do or maybe a converter box to help?

2. rsxm5

rsxm5 OT Supporter

If you are concerned about quality, I'd honestly find a way to run a VGA cable... running through composite is going to look like shit.

3. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Composite is not designed to handle a picture as detailed as what a computer can output. You need VGA, DVI, or HDMI. Nothing else will work.

4. popsnbeer

popsnbeer New Member

IIRC the problem might live within your graphics card. If you are hooking up the computer to the projector like this...

comp (vga out) --> vga to composite cable --> composite in to projector

You need to ensure that your VGA out on your graphics card can support a TV-out signal. This would be where I would start.

---------

As for what Deus said, I agree and think you would be better off finding a way to just run the VGA directly from the computer to your projector input.

5. Willey2cool

Willey2cool New Member

yea thats how he was doing it. Its a 9600GT so im guessing it can because its such a new card. I told him that hes probably going to have to rip the wall out anyway just because HDMI is becoming the new standard for hidef

6. eideteker

eideteker Who jarked off in my frakkin' coffee? OT Supporter

I'm not trying to be condescending here but I'm confused.

I have a question: both composite and component video use RCA-style connectors, and you said that the "RCA and composite (are) routed...", so what color ends are involved here?

Composite =
    [​IMG]

Component =
    [​IMG]

Component video is good for up to 1080i, as far as I know - it's what I run from my HD DVR to my plasma since the DVR has no HDMI ports.

7. Kasumi Chan

Kasumi Chan Happy, joyous and free. But fuck off.

I hate connecting that shit, especially with older computers that don't have a built in setup for it.

8. critter783

critter783 OT Supporter

How long of a run is it? If you don't mind getting your hands dirty, you can always run a long VGA cable to it. I want to say the max you can run it is 50 feet, but I'll verify that tomorrow with our technology classroom installers. We have some classrooms that have long runs of VGA, and some that convert the signal to component video, but the component video converter is a pretty large piece of equipment. I'll get some more info from my coworkers for ya.

9. Willey2cool

Willey2cool New Member

Composite is what runs through the wall, we figured that we couldnt get that to work because of the resolution. we tried running a VGA-Composite-Composite-VGA, basically two VGA-Composite connections together and couldnt get that to work. We did try the Svideo-Composite and that worked but the videos are very choppy when theres a lot of explosions and stuff going on

Last edited: Feb 27, 2009