Connecting 2nd comp to internet via hub

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by smerkor, May 11, 2005.

1. smerkor

smerkor New Member

I have a 4 port hub, and i am trying to hook up my gf's computer. When I hook up my both comps to the Hub, mine works but my gf's doesnt. I have road runner internet, and when i tried this before, i was told i had to buy a second ip address. I really dont want to spend this money. What are the steps I should take to connect both comps to the internet, if possible. Not sure if i am missing something with the ip address or something. I was told I might need a router, but I just want to think I can somehow connect these with the hardware I have. Thanks in advance.

2. Goonigoogoo

Goonigoogoo Active Member

You need a router.

3. Goonigoogoo

Internet
    |
    MODEM
    |
    Router ------if you have more PC and not enough room on the router------> OPTIONAL HUB/SWITCH ---> PC(s)
    | | |
    PC PC PC

Pretty much the jist of it.

Last edited: May 11, 2005
  4. JimboJones

JimboJones Guest

I have done this without a router, but you have to have the cable modem hooked up to one of the machines which could mean two network cards in that machine (one for the cable and one to connect to the hub). This computer is then set up as the gateway and the other computer needs to share the internet connection with the gateway computer. This requires that the gateway machine be on for the other machine to connect. Also, the gateway machine must have the newer operating system on it if they are not both the same.

5. smerkor

smerkor New Member

yea, I was told I could get another network card. I am just going to go with the cheapest route, whichever that might be. Thanks for the help

6. Goonigoogoo

A router will give you less headaches, and they are extremly affordable today, this should be a no brainer.

7. col_panic

col_panic calm like a bomb Moderator

ICS :noes:

http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/ics

i, too would go with the router