GUN Connecticut Weapons Firearms Laws

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Landfill, Aug 17, 2008.

1. Landfill

Landfill New Member

I am sure you don't know but I work in a 911 center here in Connecticut, and one of the classes I had to take was from the Special Licences and Firearms Unit to access peoples pistol permits and registered weapons in Connecticut. Anyhow I was bored at work and found my firearms packet they gave to me that has all the state laws regarding weapons and deadly force for the most part and decided to look each one up online and put them into a word document file. Posted it here for your enjoyment.

I can tell you this, you will never find every one of these laws together regarding firearms on any Connecticut government website.

http://rapidshare.com/files/137918700/Connecticut_Firearms_Weapons_Guide.doc.html

2. jeepilot

jeepilot Banned

:bowdown:

moving there in two weeks... I'll have to read this up and down.
    I'm going to apply for my CCW, but was wondering if it would even matter if you had to use it. Do they have any sort of stand your ground/castle doctrine?

I'm still trying to figure the AWB stuff out too. Looks like i'm going to have to leave my AK, and modify my AR to bring it here.

3. more off

more off Moderator

that sucks :hug:

4. Landfill

Landfill New Member

They do not really come out and say it, but in order to have a pistol in Connecticut it needs to be registered with the state, and to be registered you need to have a valid pistol permit. If you ever want to buy, sell, or trade a Pistol in Connecticut you will need a pistol permit as well.

7.62 in semi auto with a pistol grip is a no for sure, I am pretty sure though you can have an ak-74 instead. As far as the AR goes read the assault weapon part of the word file I posted and see what parts you have. If you have a collapsible stock you should probably lose it and get something fixed. There has been a lot of argument about permanent pinned collapsible stocks between gun owners and the state police. State says cause it could have been moved at one point makes it collapsible and that its makes the rifle an assault weapon, where as gun owners state that the law says as long as its fixed its legal and getting them bolted into place is ok. What makes me laugh though is their justification is that a collaspible stock makes it "Tactical" and easy to bring into a ready weapon and being able to colaspe the stock makes it concealable. However is is no law regarding lengths of the stock, so if I wanted to put an ace tactical entry stock on the gun (Which I think is at least an in or 2 shorter than a collasped stock) its perfectly legal. Having a "flash supressor" on the end of the gun is a no go for sure, even if its the bird cage style, but a "compensator" is allowed, I would look to see how its labeled with your gun.

As far as standing your groud I believe it is in that word doc, and if not PM me and I will go pull our state weapons packet I have at work and look it up, but for the most part if you are within your own dwelling and you feel you are in life threatening danger you can use deadly force to protect yourself, obviously if the person is not running away or trying to exit you can not, you also can not use deadly force on people if they are a threat on your property but not inside your house, so long as you are "Protected" by the walls of your house really the person is not considered an immediate threat. There are exceptions to the rule where if the persons intent outside of the house is to cause immediate life threatening harm to persons inside the house by commiting acts such as arson, you can use deadly force.

As far as being in public places or where you work, its the whole thing if you have somewhere to retreat to do it, if not you can use deadly force, and if someone is threatening someone elses life directly and they can not retreat to safety then you can use deadly force in defense of another person.

Edit: If you are really not to sure of what is allowed or what is not, call the Special Licenses and Firearms Unit at the Connecticut State Police 860-685-8290[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Geneva][/FONT], and ask them, the people assigned there are really good at knowing what is allowed and what is not. They can tell you all about moving there with your weapons and how to go about getting them registered and what ever else you have to do.

There is only two things Connecticut really takes seriously, Weapons offenses and Sex Offenses.