GUN Connecticut People, need clarification on carrying.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by mentalmidget, May 11, 2009.

1. mentalmidget

mentalmidget Active Member

Ok so browsing through the CT summary of Gun Legislation i was a little confused. I can carry concealed or open as long as it does not cause alarm to the general public. But then i read the restrictions on transporting (carrying) in a motor vehicle and it says the gun must be unloaded and locked away from the passenger compartment.

So from what im reading, anytime i want to carry i must unload the gun every time im in the car and lock it away? Why does this not seem correct?

Its about a 1/4 down one the website
    http://www.cga.ct.gov/2007/rpt/2007-R-0369.htm

2. P-chan

P-chan New Member

This is how it is in Ohio (unless you have a CHL, in which case the firearm must be in a closed case or bag that is in plain sight, or in a holster on your person. Even with a CHL (in Ohio), you can't just have your loaded gun laying on the passenger seat.

3. P-chan

P-chan New Member

I think it's pretty clear. Anytime you're in the car, the gun must be unloaded AND in a locked container or otherwise away from the passenger compartment.

4. P-chan

P-chan New Member

What you also want to check for is the definition of "loaded". IIRC, Ohio defines a firearm as "loaded" as long as there is a loaded magazine for said firearm in the vehicle. So technically, I could have an empty gun in the trunk, and a loaded mag in the glove box, and they may consider that "loaded".

5. mentalmidget

thats what i figured, just seemed very backward to me, i can carry concealed but must unload everything before i get in the car. Fucking CT laws

6. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

Edit for accuracy; the law you are quoting refers to "transportation" of a firearm, not the carrying of. If you have a permit and are "carrying" the pistol, you don't need to unload it.

And open carrying is a pretty gray area. It is neither allowed nor prohibited specifically by law, but creating a disturbance and breach of peace statutes are often used against open carry.

Last edited: May 11, 2009
  7. mentalmidget

Ok that does make sense now, i have been looking everywhere on the states website but can not find anything about carrying in a motor vehicle.

8. mikeflys1

mikeflys1 New Member

This

With open carry their usual method seems to be charge you, revoke your permit, drop the charges and then throw you into the year-long backlog of reinstating your permit though.

9. jeepilot

jeepilot Banned

If the pistol is on your person, and you have a CT license to carry pistols, then you are good to go if you step into your vehicle with it on your person. My interpretation of the law would be that in order to transport other firearms, they'd need to be unloaded i.e. rifles/shotguns.

I carry everyplace I can in CT. Which isn't too often since I live in Stamford and have to drive through NY to get to work.

10. AngryPotato

AngryPotato New Member

I have my CC license as well. Never openly carry. If you're transporting firearms then make sure they're unloaded. Never cross state lines with your pistol. You can carry your concealed weapon on your person in a vehicle. Always keep your ID with you.