GUN Congress OKs Va Tech Inspired Gun Bill

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by david_4x4, Dec 20, 2007.

1. david_4x4

david_4x4 New Member

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I don't know how I feel about that. The potential for abuse is present.

3. more off

more off Moderator

great :ugh2:

what mental illnesses aren't allowed to have guns :confused:

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

actually, I have decided how I feel about that... It's absolutely wrong! They're restricting someone's freedom because of something that they MIGHT do in the future. That I simply do not believe in.

5. t1h

t1h Guest

if we didn't have gun free zones this wouldn't be a problem

6. Jurisbot Esq.

Jurisbot Esq. Don't blame me I voted for Ron Paul. OT Supporter

but, but think of the children! :noes:

:mamoru:

7. Irvin Washington

Irvin Washington New Member

What fucking good is this going to do? Most psychos aren't going to go for regular checkups.

8. Dumbstixlars

Dumbstixlars Ron Paul/AR-15/Glock/old car/Scooby/R/C croo OT Supporter

Good gosh congress sucks monkey balls.

9. jeepilot

jeepilot Banned

I'm only for it if they have been involuntarily submitted to a mental institution. I don't want people who are mentally unstable owning guns. Yeah it's a limit on personal freedoms, but if you're too unstable to be able to function like a normal human being, then you shouldn't be owning a gun, or even allowed to drive a car. Also depends on the mental illnesses as well.

10. Yuppy

Yuppy Have a seat right there....

yea people who have gone to counseling should be excluded.

a gun purchase that requires disclosure of medical records is FTL

11. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

by the same theory once they are released their freedom to have firearms should be restored... Owning firearms is a freedom of the constitution -- if you should be out of custody, you should be able to have firearms.

12. uh so let me get this straight...you guys are pissed off that people with mental health issues can't get weapons?

13. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

no, we're mad that we KNOW it's going to get abused.

You'll hear about how someone went to marriage counseling and as a result was declined for a firearm purchase years later.

14. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

AND all this faggotry legistlation NEVER prevents the crimes. BAD people still get guns! They restrict freedoms more and more and more, but it's just feel-good bullshit... None of it has any chance of working!

15. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

i completely agree that people with serious mental health issues should not be allowed to own firearms, however, there needs to be discussion about what is considered a "serious mental health issue".

it has to be something that makes the person a danger to themselves and others (preaching to the choir)

16. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

I'd have to read the bill in detail to see what a "documented mental health problem" is, if it is being ordered by a court into a mental health facility, it might be acceptable, but if it were anyone who has been treated for depression or seen a mental health professional that is a big difference. It matters if covered court ordered mental health evaluations or only commitment to an institution.

If someone has been legally committed and released, then there must be proof that there has been improvement and they can no longer be considered an immediate threat to themselves or those around them.

I mean consider someone's wife/husband dies, they get severely depressed and attempt suicide, only to fail. A court finds out and orders them to a mental health facility. Some years down the road they are back on track and want to buy a gun, its going to be a hassle to do, if they don't get flat out denied, they will at least require further investigation. I doubt the government is going to look at the circumstances though.

17. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

i may have missed it, but where are the details?

it says they will get flagged, but will they immediately be denied?

18. mattsb2000

mattsb2000 OT Supporter

This isn't going to stop anything.

19. mattsb2000

mattsb2000 OT Supporter

When hillary wins next year you are going to prison for killing innocent muslims. :hsugh:

20. skeletor25rs

skeletor25rs Yetis & Deer

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (SAMSUNG-SGH-I607/I607FG1 Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 4.01; Windows CE; Smartphone; 320x240))

Is ADD considered a mental illness?

21. Werm

Werm Guest

I can see how gun collectors or those with a large ammo cache could quickly be classified with a mental illness... This bill doesn't do us any good in the rights department.

22. Alphaeus

Alphaeus New Member

Are you that shallow-minded? :ugh:

People with "mental health issues" could mean ANYTHING. Any remotely harmful "issue" could be twisted to deny you a gun. Bipolar? No gun for you. Your dad just died and you've been struggling with a bout of depression? No gun for you. Anti-gun doctor or psychiatrist you've seen? Yeah, he doesn't think you should have a gun. Now when you go to buy a gun they can comb through your medical history? What's next, monitoring your financial or relationship history so you can't buy a gun if you're in dire financial straits or you have an ex-wife you're on bad terms with?

Not to mention the fact that the policy itself will cost $250,000,000, money alloted to the court system to enact it could total $125,000,000, plus the government will pick up the tab for legal fees on any suits brought against the bill by pro-gun groups.

All this could have been avoided for FREE, including much of the VT tragedy itself, simply by allowing people who already have carry permits to carry at college.

And you say that we simply want psychos to be able to buy guns. :ugh:

Last edited: Dec 20, 2007
  23. Werm

Werm Guest

Of course... just like advil is a drug. Both of course to a lesser degree.

24. You think people who are diagnosed bipolar should be able to successfully buy weapons? You are an idiot if you truly believe this. When I read this I thought specifically of a family member, who was diagnosed with bipolar disorder, and should NOT have weapons.

Who's next schizophrenics!?

I would also need to read the bill to determine the definition of mental disorders.

Edit: The bill has been pending for quite some time. You think the NRA or other gun advocates wouldn't bring up these issues? Once again we'll see when we all get a chance to read the whole, boring, document.

25. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

This is exactly why I don't like laws like this. Every person in the world is a medical expert and will give you their views on when antidepressants are or aren't necessary, what constitutes a serious condition, etc all while having absolutely no qualifications or training in that area. I don't want know-nothing voters and politicans deciding what is a serious mental illness any more than I want them deciding if late term abortions should be legal. You wind up with uninformed ignorant laws based on whatever shred of understanding they have on the topic.

Is it the manic, depression, or both parts that have you concerned?