WEB Confused by Drupal

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by klizzle, Mar 16, 2010.

1. klizzle

klizzle New Member

Alright, I'm a beginner with drupal but really experienced with PHP / SQL / OO / web stuff, to the point this would be 10x easier for me if I did it the "hard" way.

How the hell do I make a list of content in this thing? I've gotten content creator and views modules but I guess I'm not really sure how to customize these things, say if I wanted to make a list of something and let users post reviews, etc.

Not asking for you to hold my hand, but at least if someone could give me a good idea where to look and get started, I'd be thankful.

PS: Left the title generic in case I have more questions at a later date :coolugh:

2. Pepsi1975

Pepsi1975 Mod of the Year

3. trev.the.enemy

trev.the.enemy New Member

came to post something like this :rofl:

4. klizzle

klizzle New Member

:ugh: WTF is it

5. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

Not exactly sure what you mean as "the hard way" in Drupal.

If you're just trying to create a list of content, just create a new node of any specific note type, and type in the HTML for an unordered list. Every node body automatically allows the use of list tags unless you specify otherwise via the node filters.

If you want users to post reviews, then create an additional content type, called "reviews" for example, and go to your permissions page and make the "create reviews" permission available to either anonymous users or authenticated users.

If you're actually building a module or overriding a theme function, Drupal will automatically output your data via the overridble theme_item_list() function.

6. Pepsi1975

Pepsi1975 Mod of the Year

the king toad help light

he is the king of drupal

7. trev.the.enemy

trev.the.enemy New Member

as pepsi said, the user who posted above.. kingtoad.. is the king of all things drupal.

8. klizzle

klizzle New Member

Hard way = build the queries and php scripts to generate the lists myself. Obviously I'd like to learn how to achieve the same thing in drupal because I'm sure once I learn it I'll never want to turn back. Thanks for the reply, I'll keep plugging away at this later tonight when I get some free time. :bigthumb:

9. Insert Tokens

Insert Tokens Making Cancer My Bitch OT Supporter

:rofl:

We need that as :kingtoad: