MIL Confused about what to do while in? AF

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by JoeMayo, Feb 11, 2008.

1. JoeMayo

JoeMayo New Member

I want to go in and do my 6years and schooling for diagnostic imaging (x-ray tech) but what do I sign up for? Do you go in for 2-4 years then you can do school? How does this work.

2. ez4me2c3d

ez4me2c3d Cold Member

Good luck. I did six years, and there was little time for school. The AF owns you, and if they don't approve your school schedule, you don't go. Shit I know guys that would work 12 hour shifts and not get to eat lunch or dinner.

You are on their watch, and you do what they say, when they say. It's not as easy as the recruiter makes it seem.

"Oh yeah, sure, you can go to whatever college classes you want."

Of course he forgets to mention that even if you do make it into a class or two, the moment you get notice of a TDY, you have to drop the class, and start all over again next semester.

3. JoeMayo

JoeMayo New Member

We'll crap

4. FalconXtreme

FalconXtreme w3rd

it definatly depends on ur job id say that. i've ran into alot of enlisted people that have AA and BS degrees that are still in their 20s

5. JoeMayo

JoeMayo New Member

What are some jobs that would allow me to attend school?

6. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

What field do you want to go into? I'm assuming medical. Med techs deploy a lot.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2008
  7. Jyokker

Here is how it works:
    You go to basic for six weeks. (1 Level)
    You then go to your tech school, which could last anywhere from two weeks to two years, depending on the job you select. (3 Level)
    Then you go to your first duty station and begin upgrade training.(5 Level)
    Upgrade training mostly depends on how many Career Development Courses (CDCs)your job has.
    While doing your CDCs, it is up to your supervisor to let you attend college, (most will not let you unless you are awesome).
    After achieving your 5 Level, you may take college courses as the mission permits. Do not expect to go to college full time (unless you are taking two accelerated classes at once from an online college).

8. JoeMayo

JoeMayo New Member

Maybe I should just go to this outside of the airforce ha

9. Jyokker

Just remember, with any perks the recruiter tells you... the mission will come first. If you get stuck somewhere with a high operations tempo, it will be more difficult to go to college. On the flip side, if you get stuck somewhere slow and boring, you may have all the time in the world to go to college.

10. JoeMayo

JoeMayo New Member

Lets say I want to do loadmaster and sign up for 6years? Will the AF pay for my schooling after I'm done?

11. Jyokker

No, but the GI bill will. AF tuition is only good while you are active duty. $4500 per fiscal year, and a cap of $250 a semester credit hour.

12. JoeMayo

JoeMayo New Member

I think I'm gonna lean more towards doing 4 years saying yes to doing the GI bill. Getting out then doing school locally.

13. evan2

evan2 Guest

lol dont listen to the 2nd poster he is an idiot....not everyones job is like that
    if you go xray tech you will work in the hospital which is quite cush

once you finish your CDCs your boss should let you take some classes....just need to get with your base education office or go about it on your own but they are the best people to talk to

if you are a good troop they might let you do cdcs and school though depends and kinda hard to prove and some bosses are set in thier ways

so just crank them out and be on your way

14. ez4me2c3d

ez4me2c3d Cold Member

I didn't say that everyone's AFSC would be exactly like that, in fact I never even said anything about medical. I was generalizing from what I witnessed while I was in.

You sound like a fucking recruiter... maybe, possibly, should be, fuck you

exactly what I was saying, you are on their watch, if they say no, then you don't go.

15. evan2

evan2 Guest

I only read your first post....well Im not going to say he will be able to but you made it seem like he wouldnt

16. NisAznMonk

NisAznMonk New Member

Go with the 4yr route man. If by chance you aren't able to get any schooling in at least you'll get your MGIB after your 3rd year with only 1 year left on your enlistment contract. You don't want to be looking at an additional 2 years hating life because you chose to go in for 6 years.