Confused about supplements..

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by NightyNight, Aug 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NightyNight

NightyNight OT Supporter

Starting a strict gym schedule tomorrow. I'm 5'9", 150 right now.

My goal is to gain mass. I have protein, which I'm going to do two shakes a day with. I also take a multi every day.

Now I'm confused about two more. Creatine and Glutamine. What are the two best rated products with these supplements? Is there a hybrid of the two? Should I be taking these three? How often?

:run:

thanks guys!

2. jokka

jokka OT Supporter

Suppliments

And finally there is no magic pill or magic powder. It will take a long ass time to make real progress, however if you going to be around for a long ass time you might as well be in good shape.

A word of caution: do your research before taking a supplement. There are a lot of things out there that could be potentially dangerous and there is no indication on the label as to the side effects. You can walk into GNC and come out with anabolic steroids stronger than anything available in the 70’s and not even know it. M1t comes to mind.

If you have any questions about specific supplements search or read the archives

If you do want suppliments go here

www.1fast400.com <-- Put Offtopic.com in the comments and you might get some free stuff, they usually have the best prices, and by far the best customer service

www.blackstarlabs.com
    www.dpsnutrition.net
    www.beyond-a-century.com
    www.netrition.com/

GNC is overpriced. The stuff you get at the supermarket will probably taste like ass and be over priced as well.

If you search around you will get a feel for what brands most people use, so you don't buy something that tastes like ass and doesn't work.

Given that, chocolate Optimum whey is the favorite around here for the money (10lbs at a time).

If your lactose intolerant try lactaide or dairy ease 2% instead of milk. Stay away from soy and soy milk soy is bad m’kay

Creatine

What is creatine? Creatine is a performance enhancer, and will only help you if you are working out. It's best to take pre or post workout with carbs (dextrose ie gatorade). Some creatine already has the carbs.

A bit of advice to all you New Year’s resolution people. Don’t go out tomorrow and try to run 10 miles, do a full body workout, and eat 10 cans of tuna. Take a step at a time and try to do just a little more than you did the day before. Start by going to the gym a couple times a week, add 30g’s of protein to your diet, and cut out the cokes. When you’ve got that under control, ramp it up a notch. You’ll be less likely to give it up.

from the stickies.

3. TZ

TZ Banned

i'd say forget the glutamine, just stick with creatine, whey, vitamin c, a multivitamin, and maybe fish oils or flax seed oils. thats all ya reall need. maybe look into BCAA's, i dont really know anything about em'

4. ulter

ulter AFBoard owner

The difference I see more often than anything are the products themselves.
    L Glutamine is absorbed by your stomach and is pretty useless for mass building. Alanyl l Glutamine however is what is used by the medical profession because it survives the stomach and is carried easily to the muscle.
    Creatine Monohydrate has the same problem. That's why the Univ of Nebraska developed and patented Creatine ethyl ester, or CEE. But an investigation by Bill LLewellyn, author of the Anabolic series, found only 2 manufacturers out of 14 he tested actually had CEE in the bottle they sold as CEE. So people were using it saying it was no different than regular creatine and they were right. Because it WAS regular creatine.
    You want to supplement creatine because it's one of two energy sources in the muscle. CEE is the best choice. PureCEE that my store sells is the best of the CEE's and each batch is tested for purity.
    Glutamine helps you with recovery and you'll grow better on it. But get the Alanyl l Glutamine. We sell that too.

Next week we'll be giving away PureCEE to the members of Off Topic so watch for that.

5. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

skip glutamine, waste of money

if you're just starting the newb gains will be fine if you eat plenty and lift hard

6. NightyNight

NightyNight OT Supporter

I bought ON 100% Whey, and No-Xplode. Small sizes of each to try out.

7. Mass

Mass Active Member

supps make up such a small portion of what a new lifter really needs. I wouldn't get to wrapped up in whats "hot" right now. Just eat your meals, get your protein in every day, and be consistent with going to the gym.

8. ralyks

ralyks New Member

I prefer supple mints.

9. Perkwunos

Perkwunos Dog Bones OT Supporter

I think you threw money in the lou with the no-xplode.

Just get a bulk tub of mono hydrate, and some protein supplement. If you are a beginner, I doubt any of the other crap is gonna be helping all that much. Food is always gonna be king.

10. NightyNight

NightyNight OT Supporter

:run: wish i saw you earlier. got it based on a couple references from some friends who lifted throughout high school. i guess ill just have to try it.

11. GilgaMesH

GilgaMesH Active Member

NO Xplode isn't bad, just a bit overpriced. I got what amounts to the same stuff as NO xplode for 10 bucks a container at the Arnold Fitness Expo last year.

12. GilgaMesH

GilgaMesH Active Member

And there is a lot of glutamine in protein powder, i believe. so you shouldn't have to have a separate glutamine supplement.

13. NightyNight

NightyNight OT Supporter

I didn't know that. Thanks.

Should I think about a creatine monohydrate for post workout?

14. turbo35

turbo35 haters gonna hate

If anything, pre. It takes an hour to digest, and lasts about an hour and a half in the bloodstream IIRC, so you're best off taking it an hour before workout or so (usually I mix some creatine mono in a whey shake).

BTW, I just stopped after being on it for 2 months, didn't really do much for me. :dunno:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.