GUN Confrontation while hunting leads to man being shot in Baldwin County, Ala.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by TL1000RSquid, Dec 6, 2008.

1. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Confrontation while hunting leads to man being shot in Baldwin County, Ala.
    Mississippi shipyward worker taken to hospital for 'non-life threatening' injuries.
    Saturday, December 06, 2008
    By VIRGINIA BRIDGES
    Staff Reporter
    http://www.al.com/news/press-register/metro.ssf?/base/news/1228558517172110.xml&coll=3&thispage=1
    BAY MINETTE, Ala. — A father was shot in front of his son Friday morning after a neighbor confronted the men about hunting on his property, according to the Baldwin County Sheriff's Office.

Robert Glen Pickle, 51, was charged with second-degree assault after he drove up to the men and two others, slammed on his brakes and took out a .44-caliber Magnum revolver loaded with rat shot, according to the Sheriff's Office.

Randy Vinson, 45, was shot in the side and taken to the University of South Alabama Medical Center "for non-life-threatening injuries" about 11 a.m., authorities said.

The shooting occurred after Vinson, and at least three others, "illegally" crossed Pickle's property while trailing a deer, according to the Sheriff's Office.

Pickle and Vinson had a heated exchange before the shooting, said Maj. Anthony Lowery, a spokesman for the Sheriff's Office.

Pickle was taken to the Baldwin County Corrections Center, where he was expected to be released Friday night on a $5,000 bail, a jail official said. Second-degree assault is a Class C felony, generally punishable by up to 10 years in prison.

The hunters were not charged, authorities said.

At least four men were on the hunting excursion that began about 7:45 a.m. in woods that surround Scottish Lane, said Blake Wilson, 21, one of the hunters.

Pickle and the Vinsons live among the woods and mobile homes on the rural winding road off U.S. Highway 31, about two miles east of the Baldwin County Courthouse.

The hunters started "trailing a deer" through the woods and crossed Pickle's property, Wilson said.

After the deer was shot, they loaded it into a red Nissan pickup truck driven by an unidentified hunter and started down Scottish Lane, Wilson said. Randy Vinson jumped in the passenger side, while his 19-year-old son, Tyler, and Wilson were in the back with the deer, Wilson said.

Then Pickle's red Toyota Tacoma appeared, Wilson said.

"We were coming up this hill, he shot out around us, slammed on brakes, throwed it in reverse, and backed into us. Bam," Wilson said.

Pickle jumped out of his truck and pointed a gun at Randy Vinson, said members of the hunting party.

"He shot twice. Pow. Pow," Wilson said. "And Randy hit the ground."

Randy Vinson was bleeding from his side and his head, witnesses said.

Pickle made Wilson and the others put their hands behind their heads and lie face down on the pavement, Wilson said.

Tensions calmed when someone who apparently knew Pickle pulled up to the scene, said Ricky Joiner, a friend of the Vinsons who witnessed some of Friday's exchange.

Randy Vinson, who has four children ages 6 to 24, is a carpenter by trade, but currently works as a rigger in a shipyard in Mississippi, said his oldest son, Josh Vinson.

Josh Vinson, who was called to the scene, said Pickle moved onto Scottish Lane about two years ago. Josh Vinson said he had some confrontations with Pickle, but his father didn't know the man.

"No, he had never even talked to that fellow," said Josh Vinson. "My daddy worked all his life, he doesn't bother anyone up here."

After the shooting, Tyler Vinson stood among his friends and neighbors and watched as Sheriff's deputies gathered evidence.

When asked how he was doing, he replied, "I'm all right," pressing his lips tightly together.

=====

Shouldn't of been hunting on that guys property with out permision.

2. Bloody Sunday

Bloody Sunday OT Supporter

no shit, but i bet they thought it wasn't a "big deal" to just track the deer, then move along...

3. GlobeGuy

GlobeGuy New Member

4. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

You never know, was it posted as private and no trespassing? You could very easily track onto someone's property without ever knowing it if its not posted. I hunted this past week on my cousin's property in PA. He doesnt care if others do, so its not posted, but there is nothing to say where his property starts and someone else's ends.

5. phoenixTX

phoenixTX New Member

I think it would be a little better for the shooter if this all occurred on his land, but from the sounds of the story they had their deer in the truck and were on a public street when the land owner attacked them.

I'm thinking the shooter is in for a shitload of trouble.

6. elgranto

elgranto New Member

"throwed it in reverse" :rofl:

7. Paintballer

Paintballer Choo Choooo....

If given the chance I would have shot the son of a bitch as soon as I saw him pull and point the gun at anyone in my hunting party. They were only tracking the deer and not hunting on his land.

8. Valence

Valence Gustav Refugee

I agree, and I don't believe that trespassing on private land like that requires deadly force. I certainly wouldn't pull a gun if someone was trespassing on land *other than my home is located* and they were not a threat. Especially since they had already trespassed and were now on public property.

9. JaimeZX

JaimeZX Formerly of :Sep 2001: fame - Also: Sprout Crew OT Supporter

I've gotta believe there's some history there, because even the most psychotic gun-owning PETA crazy would have to be smart enough to know that on a public road, the best you could reasonably hope for is "HEY ASSHOLE, STAY OFF MY LAND NEXT TIME YOU'RE GONNA KILL A DEFENSELESS ANIMAL. IF I CATCH YOU ON MY LAND AGAIN I'M GONNA CALL THE COPS ON YOU FOR TRESPASSING."

10. Bloody Sunday

Bloody Sunday OT Supporter

tracking is technically hunting

11. SNDP

SNDP New Member

trespassing is not a capitol crime

12. jeepilot

jeepilot Banned

I would have no questions or problems with opening up on the guy and laying waste to him. They were on a public road traveling home, and not on the guys property. At that point all he should have done was call the game warden/ sheriff and maybe confront him.

While I don't think tracking a wounded deer onto someone elses land is really an issue. If they were actively hunting on another person's land and it's posted no-tresspassing, then the guys has a right to confront the hunters, but NOT with deadly force.

I'm really surprised no one in the hunting party decided to shoot back. 3:1 odds was dumb for the shooter to go against in the first place.

13. skeletor25rs

skeletor25rs Yetis & Deer

If you cross a fence to track a deer is best to leave your guns on your side of the boundary.

14. idleprocess

idleprocess Bring a dollar with you baby in the cold cold grou

Given the information presented in the story, I emphatically agree.

Sounds like the shooter either had some backwoods "It's my land!" mentality where tresspassing was tantamount to attempted murder, or something else went on that was not mentioned in the story.

15. Anders 7

Anders 7 I aim to misbehave OT Supporter

nut job needs to go to prison