MMA Conflicted about which training center to join up with...

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by Unknown User, Mar 25, 2008.

1. Unknown User

Unknown User New Member

Well, I'm going to start by saying that AT THIS moment, my main goal is to lose a bit of weight and start learning an art.

Having said that, I've tried out trial classes at 2 training centers for Muay Thai near my house. One is Curren's Martial Arts (http://www.teamcurran.com) and the other is Z's Martial Arts (http://www.teamzs.com/).

Curren's offers a true Muay Thai environment for $125/mo -- Muay Thai + Jui Jitsu is $145/mo. The instructors seem very knowledgable and the class size is nice. They have bags to practice on and a weights/machines area to increase your strength. My "trial" experience with them was mixed. Intro class was great. The guy they had me working with was knowledgable and very helpful. However, the actual class the next day sucked for me. I just jumped into the class and later found out that they had no running water fountains and I hadn't brought any water with me. Became dehydrated during the workout and stepped out of class. I just don't find it acceptable for a facility like this to not have running water. Of course, it's not a HUGE deal since next time I'll just bring a bottle of water and it was partially my fault for not being good w/ water consumption. Curren's is also about 25 minutes from my house and the Muay Thai class starts at 6pm, so it's not always easy to make the class due to work.

Z's offers Kickboxing w/ Muay Thai mixed in (not as many elbows and knees), but offers a friendlier atmosphere and you get to take Karate (not for me), Jui Jitsu, and Kickboxing for $115/mo. My "trial" with them showed that they didn't concentrate on Muay Thai as much as I hoped. They mix in a few techniques, but still give an amazing workout. The instructor went through the proper stretching exercises also, which was very important to a person like me who doesn't have much experience w/ martial arts. Also, Z's is about 10 minutes away and has classes at 8:40pm which is very convenient, however doesn't provide a true Muay Thai experience.

Which one would you pick? I'm really torn between the two. Also, just wanted to add that price isn't the issue, I just wanted to add that in for reference.

2. teep

teep New Member

It seems like both offer a good work out, which is what you're looking for. If fitness is your main goal, I say go with whatever offers a better atmosphere for you. Or whatever is more convenient.

3. LOLSTi

LOLSTi DTOM

4. Bausk

Bausk New Member

First gym. Second gym is a traditional gym jumping on the new hype bandwagon, imo. You want a GOOD Muay Thai coach.

I bring a water bottle to my gym too, they don't have water fountains.

5. teep

teep New Member

We have a sink :hsugh:

6. Bausk

Bausk New Member

So do we (in the bathroom), that's where I fill my bottle up.

7. 2ofdem

2ofdem OT Supporter

You sound like you enjoyed going to Z's more that would be where id go if your intention which you have stated is to lose some weight and learn some stuff. If you want to learn and take the training uber seriously go to the gym with the better instructors.

8. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

well put

9. VulgarTheClown

VulgarTheClown A child and a gun.....go together like apple pie a

I would go to Team Curren. The lvl of instructor makes the hardships of getting there worth while. Water is a minimal hastle don't build it up to be something its not.

Good training always overshadows the McDojo

10. Unknown User

Unknown User New Member

I went to a full trial class at Z's last night. Great workout which also made my decision.

Z's seems great for a good workout, but the Muay Thai substance was VERY lacking. Even though Currens is farther away and the scheduling sucks, I will be joining up with them for the quality of instruction. As someone said earlier, Z's seems to be a "McDojo" where people definitely learn a few things and become fit.

Thanks for your help and advice guys.

11. Optamix

Optamix New Member

My old gym didn't have a water fountain :dunno:

I would go with the first one. Good instruction is worth it.