Confirm my troubleshooting

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Maffy29, May 9, 2007.

1. Maffy29

Maffy29 Active Member

So I'm fixing a computer for a lady at work. Its a Dell Dimension something-or-other. My diagnosis is a failed hardrive. Here's what happens. I power the computer on, DELL comes up on the screen and then it turns off. I figured at the least its a failed hardrive. Could it be anything else? I don't want to spend a ton of money on parts (on her dime) if its not worth fixing.

2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Probably the power supply, possibly a dead CPU fan. A dead hard drive would more likely just cause an "Operating System Not Found" error.

BTW: in the future, try including the steps you took to diagnose the problem, not just the diagnosis. How are we supposed to know whether you're right or wrong if we can't see what you saw?

3. UsualSuspect

UsualSuspect Sic Semper Tyrannis

You could also download the RAM checker from Microsoft. Put it on a floppy and run it to check the status of the memory. I have run into similar issues that you are facing and it was bad RAM.

4. MrBrotato

MrBrotato New Member

Actually my last guess would be failed hard drive. First guess as deusexaethera said, probably power supply. Could be CPU, RAM, motherboard.

5. hurleyint1386

hurleyint1386 Someone has sand in their vagina

you could always burn a knoppix cd and boot from cd. if it boots, then it's probably the hard drive, but otherwise, it's something else.

6. MrBrotato

MrBrotato New Member

Or just have it boot to a floppy and put any floppy disk in...

7. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

unplug the cables from the cd drives and hard drives and remove any cards that you can (except video if it's not onboard). Then try turning it on. If it powers up and stays up, turn it off and plug in the hard drive. If it stays on after that, try the cd drive next. It could be a bad component, or it could be the power supply going and just can't sustain enough power to keep the stuff running.