Configuring router question.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by negative zero, Mar 10, 2008.

1. negative zero

negative zero New Member

Trying to help a friend out installing a router. He does not have the start up disc that came with it. Can he just connect it and go to 192.168.x.x and get into the configuration?

Bonus question. Knology is his ISP. I have set up numerous routers on comcast and never notified them. He claims knology has to do something on their end to "enable" the router. Is this true?

2. Frequency

Frequency New Member

3. dissonance

dissonance reset OT Supporter

As Frequency said, yes. And you can easily look up the router's info online to make sure you have the right password/etc.

No, but you most need to call them and give em your modem's MAC address. But, other than that they don't need to know anything else.

4. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

en
    config t

oh wait, it's a home "router"...

just google the name brand and model of the router, it will give you the factory settings for getting into the config.

5. negative zero

negative zero New Member

Thanks. The reason I asked is because I got him to try every 192.168.x.x # I could think of and he says it never prompts for user / password. It always gives "Page Cannot be displayed...." error.
    I just don't have alot of time to go over there myself so I was hoping he was missign somehting easy.

6. dissonance

dissonance reset OT Supporter

This has default login/passwords as well as some default ip pages:
    http://www.phenoelit-us.org/dpl/dpl.html

or to find the address, go into the command prompt (start -> run -> type in (without the quotes) "cmd" and hit enter. Then type in (no quotes again) "ping -r 1 www.yaoo.com" and press enter. The numbers after "Route:" is the routers WAN IP.

Then, as dork states as well, to get the login/pass, just search for the make/model.