Confessions of a dealership "Detailer"

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by autoracer1, Jul 16, 2004.

1. autoracer1

autoracer1 Rallyx postponed :wtc: Next one May 10.

Disclaimer: I have signed an agreement not to tell anything that goes on at my dealership. Thus, all of this information comes from the previous dealership I worked at briefly, because I dont want to breach this agreement. ;)

Consider this thread as more encouragement to avoid letting a dealership touch your paint. If you ever get a service wash and vaccuum, id be seriously worried. They are given ~10min to wash and vaccuum a car, so it is getting brushed with probably a dirty brush head, being pushed hard. $50,000 black car, they dont care.

Dealership protection packages have markup in the range of 1000%, using inferior products.

Most everything that happens is affected by a lack of time, a lack of caring, a lack of good products, and a lack of knowledge.

Common practices:

Windows: cleaned first by being sprayed with a medium strength degreaser, then steel wooled with a very fine steel wool. If done properly, it actually works quite well, especially with sap/bugs, which it gets rid of super easy. However, if you get someone applying the degreaser outside, or leaving it for a few minutes, it is going to "burn" youre windows, and leave NASTY streaking, which is a bitch to get rid of. Also expect them to razor blade off the stickers from shipping with no lubrication, causing permanent scratching.

Tires/Wheels: Sprayed with a STRONG (industrial strength, you dont want this touching youre skin) alkali degreaser, and wheels probably with a strong acid, then brushed by a stiff bristled brush, halfassed, that is already depressingly dirty. Not good for wheels and tires. Tire dress used is probably a cheap, pure silicone mixture liberally sprayed on, so yes, its gonna be on youre paint. That is also not good for the tires.

Interior carpeting/seats: Halfass shampoo jobs are common. The vaccuum cleaner will only usually have one attachment, so dont expect the nooks and crannies to be cleaned. Dirty floor mats? They will be SOAKED with a strong degreaser, and then pressure washed VERY thoroughly, vaccuumed of all water, and left to dry in the sun. Effective, but not good for youre mats. Either way, your interior is probably left wet, and you will have to leave it with all windows down overnight.

Interior consoles and stuff: Air compressors are wonderful things. Light degreaser :sad2: + unlimited compressed air + shitty rough towel :sad2: = a surprisingly clean console and dash. If the car is getting a detail, not a new car cleanup, they will probably LIBERALLY spray a coat of disgusting original armorall quality dressing over dash, doors, everything not fabric. It is greasy, and collects dust.

Paint: :rofl: Expect scratches, somewhere on the car. If the dealership is particularly shitty, expect glue lines from the shipping plastic. If you are so unfortunate to buy a car that has been on the lot, invest in a good private detail (see autopia find a detailer), because it is going to be swirled SO BAD. This is assuming they dont try to get them out, which is about 50%. If they do, they will handwax it using a crappy shit wax, and MIGHT orbital it off. This is already after a DIRTY mitt, or most likely a dirty brush wash, and dirty chamoix dry. You have wax in all nooks and crannies, and they wont get it out. If they do break out the rotary, expect worse damage. Speed is the name of the game, so everyone knows what that does.

In summation, when you buy a new car, for the love of all that is wonderful, make sure it still has its white shipping plastic on paint, and dont let them take it off. Do it youreself, and get it ready for delivery yourself. If possible, try to apprehend the car before it hits the lot, (discuss with sales manager), so it isnt beaten on by lot boys/mechanics.

That said, I do maybe 10% of these horrible things, because I simply have too. I steel wool and degrease windows, but I do it properly, and in that case it works ok. I pressure wash floor mats, because it works well. These things just save so much time that you are unable to do it properly, because you will get yelled at otherwise.

Nobody cares, except the salesman, for a few minutes, and even then he has no clue what is going on.

2. Steve Kerr

Steve Kerr 6 Time NBA Champion OT Supporter

i bought a new car last week.

Thanks a lot.

My car had 244 miles on it when I bought. gawd knows how many times my car went through this process.

:fawkd: to all dealerships

3. pLaYIstIcPimP

pLaYIstIcPimP New Member

this is NOT true about ALL dealerships. the one i work at does not do the practice that you are talking about because most of the time i am back there with them. If i am not, they take forever so i try to make them hurry up. but that isn't true about all dealerships i have to say.

4. SilverJettaGLX

SilverJettaGLX OT Supporter

Whenever I go to the dealer I make sure they know NOT to wash the car. Pissed me off the first time I took my wifes car to the dealer for an oil change. I had just detailed the car all day Sunday. Monday I take it in for an express oil change and they fawking washed it anyways ruining all my hard work from the day before.

5. Peter Gibbons

Peter Gibbons OT Supporter

this happens frequently, it's horrible, once i forgot to request no wash and my paint came back horribly scratched... what a nightmare

6. flip2jetta

flip2jetta Guest

Not trying to start anything here but, if your willing to go through all the time and effort to detail your car why not do a simple oil change yourlsef? I'm sure it wouldn't take as long as the detail did. If you don't know how to just say and I can point you out to a good how-to.

7. Priest Tango

Priest Tango Custom User Tits

i told my mom to tell the dealer to keep the detailers AWAY FROM THE CAR.....they got their hands on it anyways:hs: but they didnt do that horrible opf a job, but i would expect alot more from a dealer

8. SilverJettaGLX

SilverJettaGLX OT Supporter

The scheduled maint. was free on the car for 2 years

9. flip2jetta

flip2jetta Guest

Oooh ic, free maintanence is hard to pass-up, but even then I still shudder at the thought of handing my car over to the dealer. I drive a jetta too, 2002 1.8T :)

10. LocoStrange

LocoStrange New Member

My car, that I got 2 months ago, had 6 miles on it... the moment I took that car home, i had 6. Sonic Blue Stang GT. No idea how hard they drive it tho :hs:

11. LocoStrange

LocoStrange New Member

Also..I didnt sign up for any of that extra shit and the guy literally threw the papers into my face :nono:

12. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

I've seen dealerships where they use the same nasty wool pad and a rotary to wax multiple cars (my brother was a make-ready for a Dodge dealership but he just did the fluids and mechanical checks), leaving serious rotary holograms all over the car. In the Dallas area, Moritz BMW and Don Davis Lincoln are by far the worst when it comes to detailing cars. Park Place and Sewell are both pretty good (all their dealerships) but that is about it.

When my Dad got his new V6 Accord, he told the dealership not to wax it, he even had them write it into the contract and initial it! 3 days after he got it, I went after it with Poorboy's Polish w/carnauba with my PC and a Meguiars polishing pad and topped it with Meguiars #16 Pro Paste Wax by hand. :yum:

13. RenaultFreak

RenaultFreak OMG

good to know :)

youre =! your :hs:

14. TrboJunky

TrboJunky OT Supporter

Umm nice generalizations about detailing. Shows you know nothing. Who the hell would spray degreaser on a window to clean it? Thats what window cleaner is for.

15. KMAzz

KMAzz OT Supporter

If buying a car in PA you can be sure the Detailers at Gray Chevy, Abeloff nissan, reinhart dodge, or any brown-daub location do their cars right. They have a contracted Detailing company do all their work and it is done very very well.

16. Priest Tango

Priest Tango Custom User Tits

for the love of god, SHUT THE FUCK UP!

17. Scottwax

Degreaser will remove any adhesive residue from the platic the cars are shipped in. Regular window cleaner isn't always strong enough.

18. TrboJunky

TrboJunky OT Supporter

Please enlighten me as to what cars come shipped with adhesive on the windows? I know of very few and they are generally high end. Just use glass cleaner and OO grade steel wool.

19. KMAzz

KMAzz OT Supporter

everyone has their own way of taking care of the proble.. It might not also be window protection some cars have random stickers placed all over from the factory or markings etc..

20. Scottwax

Please enlighten me as to why you think you know so much about detailing? What is your background? I've had my own mobile detailing business for 10 1/2 years full time now and I have detailed everything from a Geo Metro to a '04 Rolls Phantom.

Personally, I'd never use any degreaser on the windows, but if someone works at a dealership that has cars come in with stickers, window protection, etc that leaves a residue behind, the dealership may feel that degreaser is the best way to take care of it. In case you missed it, autoracer uses degreaser because he has to. Your problem is with his boss who makes him use it.

21. violator

violator New Member

lol

4 posts....... vs Scottwax...... wow..... just wow

22. J-Passport

J-Passport OT Supporter

god I hate the dealer.. my cars in a dealer collision center and I am damn scared about the whole thing.. I am so affraid they're going to royally fuck it up while its in their hands..

23. RonJeremey

RonJeremey OT Supporter

Not to change the subject too much, but how many miles do you have on it? Have you noticed that the boost is sort of random? Sometimes it comes on fine, some times it seems like the waste gate opens at unusal times?

24. whitepearl

whitepearl OT Supporter

my mom has a 2003 Acura TL, and their service is GREAT. I never found a scratch on the car after picking it up from the dealership(since i'm the one who takes care of the car, she only drives it). They always do a very nice job of washing it too. They also give you another TL for free, as a rental for however long the car is in the shop, even if its only for a couple of hours...

Now, for my 2002 Honda Accord, the service is terrible. I cant tell the diff when they wash the car or not, i also once found a ding on the door after picking it up. Sometimes, they dont fix the problem and i end up coming back, and they give me some lame excuse as "the problem is probably bigger then we thought". And no car rental either..they have a shuttle bus that takes you back if you live more then a mile away...

So i agree, it's not ALL dealerships that pull shit like that.