GUN Condo owner isn't respecting the 24 hour notice for coming in...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Pineapple Devil, Dec 13, 2009.

1. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

and it's pissing me the fuck off. so much so that i want to tell them that next time if someone comes in without 24 hour notice and i'm at home they will be shot on sight.

a couple days ago i noticed an ac air filter sitting beside the unit in the garage (has its own separate room with a door). today, my fiance calls me almost crying b/c she found some insect traps under the sink, upstairs in our bathroom. they are dated Dec. 09. This means that they were in our bedroom within the past couple weeks b/c she said she has not seen them there. she doesn't feel safe here anymore and feels her privacy has been invaded b/c she has her underwear hanging to dry and now the maintenance man has seen all of her bras and panties.

the office isn't open today or i'd call and bitch them out. this happened before when the maintenance man and an exterminator just showed up one day w/o notice. i called the office and they said they have been sending emails, but we never got them. i'm going to make it where they have to make a phone call to one of us. my fiance is scared that one day she'll be in the shower and get out to find someone in the house. i told her just to go ahead and grab my gun and start shooting if that happens and we'll figure out who it is later.

sorry, i just had to vent

Last edited: Dec 13, 2009
  2. dpixel8

dpixel8 New Member

shoot first, ask questions later

3. dpixel8

dpixel8 New Member

and get on PS3

4. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

getting on now

5. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

you're renting some dudes condo? or you own a condo and the condo association is sending maintenance dudes there with no notice?

if its the latter I'd be super pissed the fuck off and would be changing my lock.

I own a condo, and I do know that the association does not keep keys to peoples places. since they don't own them. so there is no way a maintenance guy can enter my unit.

but all condos and condo associations are different.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2009
  6. dpixel8

dpixel8 New Member

yeah if you OWN the condo and someone is coming in, that's breaking and entering. shoot the fucker :ugh:

jk, don't shoot him but srsly, wtf

7. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

even if you are renting someones condo, it doesn't seem right. unless the owner has some deal or something with the association.

or as I said the condo docs/contract is very different from mine.

8. dpixel8

dpixel8 New Member

i've never heard of a condo/townhouse association where anything INSIDE the dwelling is the responsibility of the association, besides the building insurance

9. you know me

you know me OT where the douchbags play

claymores and hairspary

10. no7fish

no7fish New Member

No need to call the office, just go ahead and file a police report that teh event took place. That way, if anything ever gets down to the your-word-against-theirs, then you'll have some documentation to back things up.

Don't be a dick about it or anything, just ask the police if they would please come document that an unauthorized entry to your home has taken place in case you need to file charges later, say if anything comes up missing in the future, or if the problem persists.

11. BlazinBlazer Guy

BlazinBlazer Guy Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.

:werd: I'd be even more concerned about it if there are any weapons not locked up in a safe; like if your home defense weapon is on your nightstand or something. It would take nothing for someone to walk in, take your gun, and commit a crime with it; and it would be your ass getting in just as much trouble for it as the guy who did the crime.

12. Mikael

Mikael OT Supporter

put in a giant sliding lock for when she's home that has no key- so nobody can get in.

also maybe consider changing the locks so they don't have the keys until the situation is resolved.

13. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

very good idea. i'll try to call them today

it is a condo we rent from the owners of the complex. there are a couple units that have they have designated to rent. it is the maintenance guy (as far as i know it could be anyone) that comes in.

14. Bacardi 151

Bacardi 151 New Member

Fuck that noise. As a renter you have a right to notice (how much right varies from state to state). Police report is a good idea.

Send the office a letter in writing telling them they have to send all notices to you in writing in the form of a written letter. Screw that email bs. You have a right to documentation. You could demand the phone call too.

15. attomica

attomica Active Member

If you're renting, it might not be a good idea to call the police before contacting the condo owners first. The owners may be the kind who would understand your concerns and do what's right, but if you bring the cops, turn vindictive and make living there unpleasant by ignoring future issues or whatever.

16. GlassUser

GlassUser send an email not a pm OT Supporter

On the bright side, you have clear grounds to void your lease.

17. dpixel8

dpixel8 New Member

they have to give 24 hours notice. depending on laws in your state, you could break the lease, among other things. do you guys have any idea if anything is missing.

18. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

i never go to my rental houses without giving notice. most of the time i ask if i can come over to take care of what i need to if i get in touch with the tenant otherwise i leave a message and give 24 hours.

i just never think of not giving a notice i guess, seems weird when landlords are giant pricks like that, i prefer keeping a good relationship with my tenants.

renting sucks, i remember how pissed i used to get when i lived in an apartment about shit like this

but no, probably shouldn't shoot em lol

19. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

so my fiance called both the city police and the county police. both said they couldn't file anything since technically a crime was committed. i'm going to call the proper owner tomorrow and nicely tear them a new hole. i'm going to tell them from now on they must make a phone call to one of us to ok them coming in

20. no7fish

no7fish New Member

Well... the rule isn't there just because people say it is. I'm pretty sure there's a law on the books that says coming in without notice is considered trespassing, which is a crime. Besides, a police report states that something took place, regardless of whether you actually want to press charges.

Either way, best of luck.

21. fatmoocow

fatmoocow bored OT Supporter

Don't tell them to call you, you need a written letter. They can just say we called yesterday and no one answered, fuck off.

Also a simple chain on the door or deadbolt with no external key will keep someone from casually entering while you're home.

22. GlassUser

Oh and change the fucking locks.

23. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

check your lease before doing this. i had my lawyer put a provision in my rental agreements that charges for replacement plus penalty fee if the lock is changed without meeting certain criteria first and having my approval.

(i've been able to keep 1 persons deposit because of it so far)

24. GlassUser

Yeah but it will give him proof that they're breaking in.

25. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

i'd be pissed if i had a landlord and he just strolled in without warning too, i definatly agree with being pissed off. i'm just saying depending on the landlord there could be a painful $$$$ penalty if the lease was written correctly.

i'm in no way saying i think it's ok for the landlord to come without warning.

the original poster should check into his local laws etc to see who he should report it too, the police aren't the way to go, check the HUD and your state AG's websites to start to find out if you can stop the landlord from doing this. that would be my 1st couple spots i'd check anyway