GUN Condo/Apartment Defense weapon - no handguns allowed..

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Chi_Town_GoD, Feb 27, 2004.

1. Chi_Town_GoD

Chi_Town_GoD Guest

Jumping off my other thread that i made..

lets say you live in a condo/apartment, so neighbors all around, literally..

what would make the best home defense weapon if handguns are not allowed and you can only choose between rifle/carabine/shotgun..

what weapon/what load???

2. OPM Inc.

OPM Inc. OT Supporter

Just wondering, why aren't handguns allowed?

3. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

an AR, preferrably with a 16" barrel, or shorter if you feel like registering it.

4. Chi_Town_GoD

Chi_Town_GoD Guest

hmm would a bullpup design make it better for indoors?? it seems that it would make sense.. hmm :dunno:

doesn't bushmaster make bullpups with AR receiver or something?

5. oakie

oakie my ninja.

never overestimate the power of a NATO approved round. not only do they not penetrate most wall compounds, they also carry little to no "knock down" force with them unless you penetrate a major organ to induce severe shock.

it's likened to a blowdart when we tested them, but was only chosen by the military due to the increased amount of wimps unable to fire an M14 without crying.

6. GlocksRock

GlocksRock Glock > You

20 guage shotgun would be good, or even a 12 guage with the right load.

7. Dragen

Dragen Guest

8. Furner

Furner New Member

oh really.......i dont have the link at the moment, but OldPainless at ARFCOM did a test, and showed that 5.56, among other popular defense rounds, penetrated quite well thru standard housing materials.

9. footratfunkface

"knock-down force"? are you stupid? no round knocks down its target. and the whole purpose of using an AR is because the good nato 5.56 fragments so well and creates such a large permanent wound cavity so as to hit a major vascular structure or organ. you cannot effectively incapacitate any other way.

i'm pretty sure you're not serious, because if you are, you're one of the most un- or ill-informed posters to hit this forum yet. in blatant ingorance of facts and common sense, you post things that are completely false, purposely i'd imagine, about topics as serious as self-defense. stop.

10. footratfunkface

that is a secondary consideration. primary concern is whether the rounds work in the target. then, among those that work in the target, you have to choose the one that works, but poses the least threat to innocents. there are several rounds that will work, but none of them quite as well as 55 gr. M193, 68 gr. BTHP, 77 gr. OTM, 80-100 gr. 5.56, and CERTAIN 168 gr. BTHP .308 rounds that behave like M193. the new 6.8 SPC is looking like it might perform pretty damn well, but until i see gel tests, i'll withold judgment.

11. Mitch'SS

Mitch'SS New Member

Not disagreeing with the shotgun statement, but most situations are in or near that close proximity.

And do not forget the fear factor a intruder would have from hearing a shotgun being pumped. ;)

Last edited: Feb 29, 2004
  12. Jefferson Darcy

Jefferson Darcy Ol' shit chest

wait until the stupid AW ban sunsets in september, and buy a real AR. Preferably m4 configuration with 14.5" barrel with a permanently attatched flash supressor (one of the bigger ones, not the standard birdcage, to make it the legal length of 16") and the collapsible stock :bigthumb:

teh AR-15 can nevar lose

13. footratfunkface

hey, JD, a 14.5" barrel, if left as a 14.5" barrel, would need to be registered by those of us that don't get flashing lights, sirens, and badges. also, once that's done, you now have to notify the ATF any time you take that rifle out of state. i'd like to SBR an upper one day, but even with an SBR as of right now, you still cannot have a collapsible stock or flash hider if it's put on a postban rifle.

and if you get a 14.5" barrel with a permanent flash hider, you're not using your noggin very effectively. you'd have the weaknesses of the shorter barrel length, but the disadvantages of the 16" overall length. if you're going to have 16", why not make it 16" of barrel?

14. Jefferson Darcy

Jefferson Darcy Ol' shit chest

yea, I know about the NFA laws, teh federal laws still apply to individual police officers, but my state laws dont, so I think I could get away with having a shortbarreled rifle as long as I dint take it out of state....

in all honesty, the only reason you would have the 14.5" barrel with a permanently attatched larger flash supressor (say the vortex which is a :cool: one) is to preserve the M4 appearance... the 16" M4 barrels look kinda :greddy: Actually it would also be a little shorter than a 16" barrel with a standard birdcage. Its pretty much the same as those fixed "collapsible" stocks. (but those are :greddy: in my opinion)

sreiously tho, theres too many stupid regulations regarding guns. Whild I disagree with the regulations on machine guns, I understand them. But who gives a fuck if you have a 14.5" barrel or a 16" barrel? Or god forbid you have a flash supressor or a collapisble stock on a rifle with a pistol grip and magazine made after 1994 :eek3: Lawmakers are really out of touch with reality and they suck. I hope they all get various forms of cancer, aids and syphillis.

15. Letifo

Letifo Moderator

What about an AK? It's a shorter weapon, so somewhat easier to "wield", although that's not to imply the AR is unwieldy or anything, just less wieldy. The AK rounds are bigger, although less accurate, but i don't think the accuracy would be a problem in your apartment. Also, AK rounds are incredibly cheap, and the gun is incredibly low maintenance. The AR is a nice weapon, especially for precision work, but it needs to be cleaned or it'll jam. AKs can lie around in mud for weeks at a time on a battlefield, you can pick them up and they'll still work. Did i mention AKs are about half the price or less? You can get a pistol grip AK at a gunshow for ~$300 around here vs. $800 or more for a good AR15.

16. footratfunkface

i clean my AR every 300-500 rounds, which is a good habit. much more often than that and you're wasting time, much less often than that, and you're asking for premature wear.

as for an AK, if it's all you can afford, it's better than nothing, but once again, you're better off with a good AR.

i prefer an HBAR profile for 16", but i just bought a 16" 1/7 M4 profile DPMS barrel, and i look forward to putting it on my upper in the fall. also, the good thing about the M4 profile is weight. usually not a problem for home defense, though. actually, the perfect profile to me would be a 16" HBAR turned down to have the same thickness all the way down, instead of getting thicker under the handguards.