MMA conditioning?

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by TigreTek, May 11, 2007.

1. TigreTek

TigreTek omega member OT Supporter

lately mine has been shit...

tips? :hs:

2. TQ

TQ OT Supporter

Stop drinking and do more cardio......at least thats what I've been telling myself to do :o

Seriously though, maybe pick forms of cardio that are fun to you?

I love riding trails on my Mtn bike :bowdown: :dunno:

3. Optamix

Optamix New Member

Interval sprints.

One of my fav is starting at 5mph on the treadmill and going for 5 min. Then 6mph for 5 min. Then 7mph for 5 min, etc.... Keep going until you die.

4. kronik85

kronik85 New Member

how long did couture make them go on TUF the first season? 12 minutes?

5. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

The TUF treadmill workout. I love it. :)

How long of a break do you take in between changing speeds? I take 5 mins.

6. konrad109

konrad109 New Member

I like to do 10x jumping squat, 25x various ab workout, 10x knee to chest plyometric jumps, 10 push ups, and then 10 medicine ball slams, all one after the other with no rest in between and as fast as possible. Thats 1 set. Each set I increase the number or reps of each excersize by 5. 1-2 min rest between sets.

Usually by the 5th set I'm starting to pass out from exhaustion. THe medicine ball slams are the most exhausting thing ever.

7. Optamix

Optamix New Member

Break between? I don't take one, justkeep running and make it go faster.

I've made it to 12 mph 2 times ever. I just started it again today to get me ready for my next fight(that I just found out about, 3 weeks to be ready :o I'm bad out of shape). And I just made 8mph :(

Back tomorrow morning and then again tomorrow night. 3 weeks to get in fight shape is pushing it. :(

8. TigreTek

TigreTek omega member OT Supporter

i don't drink

9. Mejnoon

Mejnoon Active Member

Bas tape:bowdown:

10. JordanClarkson

damn :cool:

11. Atmosphere

Atmosphere PURPLE DREAM

i used to run ~6 miles or so, then finish my run off with a few sprints for endurance

this was couple years back when i was athletic though :o

12. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

I do an hour of cirquit training with different type of stations.

Jump rope for 6 mins to warm up

With a tied down heavy bag
    Shin kicks throwing them out while trying to maintain form speed and power
    6 mins

Front kick alternating orthodox and unorthodox stance half way through. Lead leg then rear leg.
    6 mins

Circle the bag and practice kicks while moving around throwing out leg combinations
    6 mins

Driving Knees into the heavy bag as fast as I can
    6 mins

Start working hand combinations at this point while moving. Jab Jab Right to the head hook to the body right to the head.
    6 mins

Jab Jab Right Hook to the head over hand right jab right to the body uppercut
    6 mins

Jab / shin kick / left hook / right hand / left shin kick/ right hand / jab / front kick
    6 mins

Shaddow boxing
    6 mins

I take a one min break or less in between depending on how fatigued I am during the work out. Idealy I try not to rest for more then 10 secounds but Im realistic im getting used to the routine and becoming more conditioned every week but down the line the work out becomes harder and harder. I try to do it 3 - 4 times a week and it serves as both cardio and muscle conditioning because your throwing technique out there more times then you will be using them in a fight.

ideally you need some one to push you through it so you can get the most out of it because even when we dont think we are we still slack. I try to do 6 minute rounds because most mma events are 5 eventually when I get used to this routine ill add another routine I can do so I can condition 6 days a week and this one will be more grappeling oriented.

13. pereza

pereza OT Supporter

I like punch out drills on the heavybag. 20 seconds punching, 10 seconds rest and repeat till near death and 100 # arms.

I love working the mitts too, keeps me on my toes and can be very intense.

Sprints are the shit too. Jump roping in intervals is good too.

I also mix in the sledgehammer for a few rounds.

Cant beat some good ole roadwork.

14. pereza

pereza OT Supporter

Why 6 minutes? How can you keep the intensity up with such a long round?

15. Nomad

Nomad Active Member

:eek3:

gotta try that....

16. Aradia

Aradia New Member

gotta try this. :cool:

think I'll go for much shorter rounds at first tho.:o So far 45 min. shadowboxing and calestenic mix is what I've been doing... after two kids :greddy: dam

do you worry much about PWO diet, protein/carb stuff like that?

17. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

this man speaks the truth. I do the same exact treadmill thing, and did like... 22 minutes before stopping :mamoru:.

18. JordanClarkson

Wouldn't you benefit more from doing intervals?

19. JordanClarkson

Sounds almost like a typical workout. Is this in addition to your training?

20. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

I do run intervals as well.

21. Sylva

Sylva New Member

Interval Sprints, Bas CD workouts. 100 Burpees as fast as possible or 8 rounds x 2 min each., Heavy bag combo workouts 3 min x 10 rounds W/ 1 minute rest. Or any of the numerous workouts from Ross Enamit.

22. jag6984

jag6984 New Member

I stick to at very most 4 minute rounds, but maybe my stamina isn't up to par. I know a HARD 2-3 minute round would decimate me. Try to do 8x3 min rounds of the Bas CD's with a partner holding pads/on a heavy bag, that should tire you out or you aren't intense enough.

I'd say do that routine but switch every 30 seconds, because I'd hate to be doing any one thing for 6 minutes.

23. pereza

pereza OT Supporter

If your pace is intense, 4 minutes is really good. Since i do amature boxing, my max is 2 minute rounds at a very, very intense pace. We only get 30 seconds of rest and it pays off huge after your use to it.

If you train long rounds then you train yourself to work at a less intense pace to make it through the round.

24. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

yeah its bassic I see alot of kick boxers and boxers doing it. Yeah its in addition to my training. I do it because it saves you alot of time your getting your cardio work done and at the same time your working on technique and muscle conditioning. So bassically you get to do three work outs you should be doing at the same time. Im thinking of switching it up so I do this routine m w f and then tues thurs sat do one thats more grappeling oriented.

Ive seen people do kimora/sweep sit ups ill throw in sprawls and shooting drills with it and all of it should help me out even more. A freind of mine thats primarily a grappler modified the routine for grappeling for himself and he does the same time and his goes as follows

6 mins - sprawl drill - he will run on the ball of his feet in place count 10 and then pancake sprawl and get back up as fast as possible

6 min side sprawl drill - he will side sprawl and then use his feet to move himself in a 360 circle like if he was avoiding the shot and then come back up again and do it again.

6 min shooting drill - will practice doing the double leg take down with a medicine ball up and down the hall for 6 mins

6 min slamming drill - he takes a wrestling throwing dumme he has and keeps working slams at a fast pace. he goes through all of them and then begins at the top of his list.

6 min ground and pound drill - sits on top of a heavy bag and works it like he was ground and pounding in the mount or in the guard. works some ground and pound combinations

6 min kimora drill - need another person - he has some one in his guard and he grabs the wrist and goes for a kimora / sweep and works that with a person.

6 min arm bar drill - does that frank shamrock arm bar drill where you go from left arm to right arm

6 min abb work out with medicine ball

6 min lower abb work out with medicine ball

looks like fun I might steal his routine since it covers bassically all the muscle groups you would use in grappeling

25. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

i mean realistically I cant ... my goal is to make it to 6 mins every time I do it I get a little stronger but I want to be able to fight for 5 minute rounds so you always want to train to be able to fight longer then you have to so you dont run out of wind. I can get through about 5 of the work outs with out having a problem but once I get to the more intricate combinations I just have to push hard and try to keep the burn going its mainly me trying to push through the work out at that point its just trying to survive on an empty tank. I know Ill eventually be able to get through the work out and when I do I know Ill never be able to run out of gass because I trained to be able to fight for an hour I bassically stole the concept from the shamrocks.