MMA conditioning for the grossly out of shape v.mma

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by TigreTek, Oct 4, 2006.

1. TigreTek

TigreTek omega member OT Supporter

ideas?

i'm not really looking to do 3-5X5 minute rounds, more so enough to keep up in open sparring + explosiveness if anything ever does happen on the street.

2. Sammo

Sammo New Member

running?

3. TigreTek

while i have no problems with my knees, i'd be a bit concerned about long term abuse.

running what? intervals? distance? pace?

4. AK-47

AK-47 Banned

weight-training curcuits

5. MyLittleAirport

MyLittleAirport OT Supporter

Keep training and running, the conditioning will come with time. Don't expect to be superman in like 3 months, go at your own pace, the conditioning will come, I guarantee it.

6. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

I love sprinting in intervals, and training in bjj sometimes with a stopwatch (timing 5 minute rounds). Realistically, having awesome explosive power and enough stamina to go really hard in short bursts will probably do you much better for fights than long term marathon type stamina.

7. konrad109

konrad109 New Member

Bas rutten workout tapes are always good.:dunno:

8. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

ah, good call on the bas tapes, if you can find them online try downloading them and maybe putting them in your mp3/cd player and hit the bags.

9. TigreTek

i'm 99% sure my father has the bas tapes. :noes:

10. Whew boy Bas tapes kill me.

11. SHORTSHIFTER

SHORTSHIFTER Old School Lurker

what are the bas tapes?
    videos??? someone said to but them on your mp3/ cd player??? is it an audio tape?

12. konrad109

konrad109 New Member

Yup, audio.

13. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

I've had them on my comp but lost em b/c of a hard drive crash. They were a set of audio files that coached you through a good workout for bag hitting and conditioning.

14. 2ofdem

2ofdem OT Supporter

I got the 'Pit' workout tapes off the tracker loving them.

15. teep

teep New Member

HIIT is a great. I like to jog 3 miles at an easy pace before I lift on some days too. Incorporate rounds of jump rope and shadow boxing before you work the heavy bag too. Finding a good circuit lifting routine might be a good idea as that would help improve overall stamina/muscle endurance.

16. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

as another out of shape fatty i've lost 80 pounds so far by:
    started walking as far as i could
    once i was comfortable with the hour (aprox) walk path i added some running
    i'd run a couple street lights, walk a couple street lights etc etc so on and so on
    now I run a couple street lights, jog a couple, run a couple jog a couple
    next will be running the entire distance (about 4 miles i believe)
    I just started jiu jitsu and it's helping with conditioning as well but i gotta say my walk/jog/run is what got me back to the point that i'm able to do anything, when i started my chest would hurt and my back would be so tight when i was done that i couldn't bend over to take off my socks and now i can touch my toes and about 80% splits 80 pounds off etc etc. i eat 1 PBJ sandwich breakfast 1 PBJ for lunch, 1 PBJ for dinner. 1 gallon of water, and vitamins. for about 8 months now

there is no replacement for cardio during a fight and there isn't an instant fix for cardio and general conditioning, just lots of sweat and some pain, especially if you're an out of shape fatty like me.

oh well, there's my 2 cents good luck, everyone has to find their own thing that works for them so mix it up and keep at it. maybe you're in better shape and can start with jogging or running but if you are a total mess like me start with what you can do and push yourself a bit farther and do it until you get better and then do more etc etc

17. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

8 months ago i benched 240 now i bench 300.
    my cardio is MUCH better than 8 months ago
    my squat is up, my DL is up
    I do more pull ups, push ups and sit ups then 8 months ago (couldn't do a single pullup, now 3 is max)
    and i weight 80 pounds less.

i'm pretty happy with the results so far. I was 380 pounds man, i had to lose weight or die lol.

i agree i could eat better but with 50 hours a week at work + maintance on my house etc and working out i have little time and easy cheap fast food was the trade off i chose, it won't always be what i do, once i hit 265-275 i'm going to change my diet alot but until i get to that point i have to lose weight for health and fitness sake. but i agree you're right to a degree, but when you're as fat as i was sometimes you gotta make drastic decisions.

18. CyberEye

CyberEye Oh god, the voices

That's still no reason/excuse to eat like shit. If you're busy during the week, cook on weekends. Do what I do, cook a shit tone of chicken breasts up on the weekend (at least enough to get me through the week) chop them up and portion them up into ziplock bags. Then when it's time to eat, i just pull a bag out of the fridge and put it in my salad or whatever.

19. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

:dunno: shit, it works fine for me. i havent' met many 300 pounders in as good of shape as i'm in right now and i started at 380 and i couldn't even walk a mile without catching my breath and my chest hurting.
    i'll re-evaluate my diet when i'm closer to a healthy weight, for now this is working so i'm staying with it, when you're 380 pounds you gotta do what ever you gotta do to lose weight or it's heart attack city.