WEB Concept...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by maxxpower, Sep 24, 2008.

1. maxxpower

maxxpower OG Lauren Crew - Observer OT Supporter

A version of a forum that runs using the IRC protocal...

Consider the offtopic model...
    The front page would consist of 10-15 static channels, same look and feel as the current front page.
    Click on the subforum to enter and it will be a live channel with threads moving up and down the screen live as messages are being posted, but with the traditional forum format being preserved.
    Click into a thread and the messages scroll up the page, just like a forum, but live as they are posted. No refresh etc.
    As you are viewing the thread, your name shows on the bottom as the traditional forum, but, its a live channel.

Posts retain the same formatting, images etc. But you see them live as they come in.

Sort of like our traditional forums with a constant refresh running live.

Thoughts... ?

2. Tony Stark

Tony Stark John McCain has an illegitimate mexican baby

Don't think it'll work

a) no pictures
    b) conversation would be joined in the middle, so you won't have OT like when an old thread gets bumped
    c) chat is expected to be much quicker so on a forum a 3 minute delay between posts won't kill you, in a chat room a 3 minute delay will.
    d) too few conversations. i.e. forums on each sub forum you can have 10 threads discussing ten different sub-topics, in a chatroom its basically one topic at a time.
    e) growth problem. Forums the more the better. Chat? After 30 people it becomes way too quick for most people to follow.

3. White Stormy

White Stormy Take that, subspace!

there are online IRC clients that would be way easier to use, and are far easier to implement than what you're talking about.

4. White Stormy

it might work as a personalized site.. I join up then add specific IRC networks and channels to my "profile" and you display them for me like forum posts.. but that's only an advantage if you log them, too, and keep them for me forever

5. Tony Stark

actually it could act like a multi channel irc client. I believe all the current irc clients just have one irc channel, so you have to tab it if you want to read more than that. So he could let users add something like 4 IRC channels and play off that angle

6. White Stormy

yeah but as long as they can add any network/channel they like.. and can customize the appearance.

but it sounds like more trouble than it would probably be worth.. :dunno:

7. maxxpower

Well, if I could watch the main forum move up and down live from the posts and watch the threads evolve live, that would be cool.

8. maxxpower

Ok, how about this twist...
    A live side panel (vista like) that gives you a live view of the main (1) page. At any moment you can see it build and what happens.
    You can click on the thread at anytime to open it.
    Think about being at work and have it parse the front page all the time and opening a cool thread being 1 click away at anytime.
    Filters for NWS (on/off) etc.

[​IMG]

9. Tony Stark

I don't think you want to do it Live. A 2 minute refresh with ten latest threads would be best. Also give an option to show ten threads with most replies. Also give options to subscribe to different forums. i.e. add the forum digit #, so if you want to see OT, DIACF and Webmasterlab you'd add: 11, 140 and 168

10. maxxpower

Would be no problem doing it live, just parse it, like a 30 second refresh.

11. maxxpower

Shit, someone do the parsing info and I already have the side panel code to accept flash built with alpha transparency like vista.